Cartridge for Technics SL-1200GAE

Just purchased a GAE and looking for cartridge recommendations that are a good match for the tonearm and have a musical character. I’m not a detail freak but tone and pace, rhythm, and timing are important (I don’t want pleasant sounding but doesn’t hold your attention). I’m looking under $1000 and can be MM or MC. Hoping to get responses from users with experience. Was thinking Hana EL based on reviews but would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!
schw06

Showing 1 response by billstevenson

All of the following cartridges sound just fine on my GAE: Ortofon: Per Windfeld, Cadenza Black, 2M Black, 2M Mono SE; Audio Technica: AT150ANV, AT 33 Mono ANV; Stanton 881.  The arm is a medium mass arm, very similar the MK2 arm it replaced, ~9 grams.  I strongly recommend using a better headshell and have found the Zupreme from LP Gear to be particularly nice.  You need to listen to some cartridges if possible.  Hana is a good option.  Ortofon 2M series is another good option.  A lot of people like the AT150 series, and they are good, but I have been disappointed with mine.  I think the AT33 series is better for similar money.  You might also want to consider the Goldring 1012 or1042, classics and still in production.  I would buy new unless you are very sure of the source.