Cartridge for Rega Planar 3 / RB300

I'd like to set up my analog table so I can enjoy some old vinyl again and thought I'd ask for suggestions. The cartridge I have on the table is an older Supex 900 Super with an in-line (read el-cheapo) step-up pre-amp.

Since I've been out of the loop for awhile, I thought I'd ask the collective conciousness. I listen to acoustic/folk, jazz, and classical music primarily.

If the suggested cartridge requires a step-up to line-level, I'd also be interested in hearing recommendations for a new phono pre-amp. BTW, I've heard good things about this Lehmann Black Cube (with the upgraded power supply) wondering what the local wisdom is on these?.

I've considered replacing/upgrading the table, but I think for now, my table has a great deal of potential if partnered with the right cartridge and pre-amp. Any help would be most appreciated. I'm trying to keep my budget under 1k for the cartdrige and preamp.

Downstream components are a Levinson 380, 332, and B&W 802 Matrix III speakers.

Thanks in advance,

Alan
airtaxi

Showing 1 response by wrayman

I'm using the Clearaudio Aurum Beta with my Rega. Great sounding, but taking a long time to fully break in. Should be great with your music preferences. Tried the Grado Platinum, loved it, but chose the Clearaudio as I'm listening to more jazz and acoustic stuff these days. The Platinum was ideal for my classic rock tunes, tho. It was a hard decision !
I have the Monolithic PS1, really like it. Very transparent, and images well. Would like to try the Black Cube sometime, compare the two.