Carpet Killed High Frequencies In My Music Listening Area

My basement play room is 14’x30’.  My music listening area is 14’x12’ of that. The remainder of that room holds my pool table.  I decided to install new floors.  In the pool table area and the rest of my basement will be “luxury vinyl” flooring.  In my listening area, I went from an area rug to wall-to-wall carpet.  

Now, high frequencies are faint and some music sounds dull. Bass is fine and the mid range sounds better than before.  Vocals and most instruments sound better.  Gone is the cymbal decay, solid ringing of bells, and other percussion sounds are dull.

The carpet is a week old, the rest of the flooring is scheduled to be installed on October 15th.  I’m tempted to have the carpet replaced with luxury vinyl and go back to my area rug.  I’d rather find a way to increase the high frequencies because I like how my system sounds otherwise.

My system,
PS Audio BHK pre amp
PS Audio BHK 250 power amp
PS Audio DSD DAC
PS Audio Stellar phone pre
Innous Zenith MKII streamer
Technics SL-1200G TT
Tannoy DC8 Ti speakers
Transparent super XLR interconnects for my digital gear and Transparent RCA interconnects for my TT
AudioQuest Rocket 88 speaker cables

What can I do to bring out the high frequencies?  

128x128oldschool1948

Showing 1 response by tom6897

I use a special formula for basement audio systems that includes wall to wall carpeting. It takes the static build up and shunts it to ground. I will be making another batch in a week or so. $30 per quart.  Never be plagued by high frequency simblance and other audio nasties again. Re-apply before each listening session. PM me if interested ☺