Candidates for best speakers in the $2000-5000 market

I’m asking for listeners’ experience in this bracket, buttressed by reviews and/or data; I am not a fan of "whatever sounds good to you." Ultimately, yes, that will be the case. But in getting to that point, I’m looking to benefit from the advantage of a thousand pairs of ears rather than mine alone. Those ears can include the inanimate. Thank you.

My experience has included my own Elac 403, Elac 407, and Dynaudio Special 40. Auditions have included various Sonus Faber, and Magico. All of this is in preparation for justifying the leap for an Electa Amator lll or its equivalent. But that’s for another day, another forum.

Ag insider logo xs@2xrichardmathes

Showing 7 responses by richardmathes

Update: I've acquired a pair of gently used Dynaudio Heritage. Wow. What a significant difference from the very good Special Forty. The Heritage opens up and sings.

Thank you for the thoughtful answers, and questions. Room is about 12" x 12" x 22", mostly hard surfaces, including the wooden floor, and opens onto three other spaces. Current equipment iinludes a PrimaLuna EvoLution 400, Audiolab 6000 CD transport, a Soekris dac2541, a DSPeaker 2.0 "room correction device, an SVS SB-3000 sub, and last but not least, a wife...in interior design. I'm thinking monitors.

Thanks you for so much feedback.

I was close to dealing for a pair of Harbeth M30.2, but had second thoughts after finding ASR’s reservations. They would likely have been a short term experience pending release of the LSA 100 Statement in January, with the intention of ordering a pair of Sonus Faber Electa Amator lll later that month.

This week I added a used REL T/9i to my system, adding the SVS SB-3000 Pro to the 7.1 system in the family room. The "new" sub seems like a breath of fresh air for the Dynaudio Special Forty’s.

Reading some love here for 3-5 year old second hand, for example, as a category?

Correct!

Thank you for all for the great suggestions and practical feedback. Time came to make a decision for the near to medium term at least., and I’m probably trying some posters patience!

"Next man up" is a pair of the Harbeth Super HL5 Plus XD, recently posted on Audiogon. Warm reviews, curiosity about the BBC sound, and the availability of the speakers on Audiogon drove the decision making.

Thank you again, I may be back! 😁

Several posts here mention Sonus Faber. I’ve had the opportunity to audition the Maxima Amator, alongside their other lines, and a Magico. Sonus Faber appears to approach their products as musical instruments, resulting in a "musical" quality to their sound. At least that’s my take.

My dream speaker is the Electa Amator, however (due to cost, room dimensions, WAF.) As soon as someone with money dies,...

In the meantime, my Harbeth Super HL5+'s arrives today, along with a pair of Revel Performa3 M106's. Yippee! 

There have been references to choice of amplifier. I'm standing pat with the choice of speaker being the variable for the time being. 

That said, thoughts?