Candidates for best speakers in the $2000-5000 market

I’m asking for listeners’ experience in this bracket, buttressed by reviews and/or data; I am not a fan of "whatever sounds good to you." Ultimately, yes, that will be the case. But in getting to that point, I’m looking to benefit from the advantage of a thousand pairs of ears rather than mine alone. Those ears can include the inanimate. Thank you.

My experience has included my own Elac 403, Elac 407, and Dynaudio Special 40. Auditions have included various Sonus Faber, and Magico. All of this is in preparation for justifying the leap for an Electa Amator lll or its equivalent. But that’s for another day, another forum.

Ag insider logo xs@2xrichardmathes

Showing 1 response by mike4597

You might consider Fyne Audio sspeakers.  I have the F-702s, which have been a major upgrade from my Infinity Modulus sub/satellite system of 1992.  I was looking for something in your price range, but when I heard the F-702s, I was stunned by their reproduction of my favorite demo songs, and … the wife (not an interior designer) readily agreed.  

The 702 is far above your price range, but the 501 (made in China) is in the lower portion of your range, and 501SP (made in Scotland) are just $250 above your stated range. The differences between some of the models made in China or Scotland include the former having MDF cabinets, and the latter having laminated wood cabinets and cryogenic treatment of some components.  While I am not familiar with the Tannoy sound, it is said that the Fyne speakers have a similar sound.  You probably would want a sub, but the Fynes are attractive speakers and the 501s are not too large.

By the way, I recently switched power amplifiers from a Benchmark AHB2 solid state power amplifier (excellent amp and great reproduction of the music) to a Rogue Audio Stereo 100 Dark tube amplifier, and the improvement is very evident—the music seems so much more “organically alive.”  While considering various amps, I queried Fyne via their website, and they responded with helpful information.  It would well be worth considering Fyne as an option.