canary audio cd 100 better than bluenote koala?

thinking of offing my bluenote koala for a canary audio cd 100 step up or not?
dpm2340

Showing 7 responses by bartokfan

the Canary guts look really clean and spiffy. I'm thinking I may try a unit, to see how it compares to my super cayin 17. Its those beautiful Hovland caps that catch my attention.
Now I only pd $1K for the cayin + new upgrade to the opamps/$200 for 6. So if I can geta used Canary for like $2K, i may go for it. Thats next yr though. Are these units built in california or china?
Well I'm not sure if i'm willing to give up my Cayin 17's dual/high quality-sealed power supply/ture balanced design/with my new Sovtek NOS tubes/6 new high quality opamps/and may invest another $300 for Hovland caps vs the stock WIMA. ...all for a Canary at 2X's the price, and built like a Tiger tank.
Thanks Audio, I plan to hangon to the Cayin, and Sunday the local tech guru, Ken will see if we can replace the WIMA caps with Hovlands. Space may be a problem
Should be about a $400 job, I'll keep everyone posted.
The new Sovtek tubes Ken sold me brought from Upscale, NOS from the 70's have offered a improvement in resolution. But I'm looking for even more. If i can get another 2-3% better resolution/clarity with the Hovlands, I'll feel its worth it.
1%. How can I tell. Well I replaced the stock tubes with NOS Sovtek's, I heard 2% improvement in cleaner image, sharper/more detailed. Hey 2% is 2%, it was worth it.
The Hovlands should give 1-2% better image. Whats the problem? Is that un-realistic?
True 1-2% is very difficult to perceive. But i assure you when i changed the stock chinese tubes with the russian NOS Sovtek grey plates 6922's, i noticed a difference, a improvement. Some of you tech guys, being around tubes and stereo's for yrs now, you could tell when the tubes are switched. i use certian reference recordings. i had the top off the cdp, and quickly switched the stock to the Sovtek's with the same recording, and did notice a difference. The other Telefunken tubes i bought used on here, did not work well.
Changed opamps also made a 2% improvement. Thats 2% out of a 100, not much, but a justifiable tweak.
What i'm not keen on are speaker wires and interconnects. there you'll have to make mea believer.
I use Romex commercial wire for speakers.
Yes this tiny improvement from spending say $400 on tweaks to the cdp might not be worth it to anyone here but myself. I hear the diff, and my muisc is that much (2-3%) more enjoyable. Its there, its for real.
Audio let me explain. I know what I say could be as you say meaningless to others. The 1% improvement is justa figure I pulled out of thin air. What that % is, no one can say. But fact is the changed opamps made a difference,. The new Sovtek tubes made a diff. Now to some that money spent was not justified, but to me it certainly was. My classical collection is something important, and I am glad if I can bring the sound up a notch or 2, for a reasonable amount of investment.
I have decided to change the caps, but this will be in november. I'll post the results.