Can you work hard while listening to music?

Could we please hear your recommendations for music that wouldn't ruin your productivity or concentration at work?

My general happiness in life is so improved by music that I would like to put a stereo in my office -- but some of my work can be very technical and I don't want to be too absorbed or distracted.

Of course, I am not talking about "elevator music" -- just trying to identify things (not just classical) that are rich and worthy of repeated listening/study, yet perhaps also have a soothing or meditative quality.

Perhaps this is extremely personal and also varies greatly depending on ones profession -- but if something works for you, perhaps you could remind us of what you do to pay for all of your expensive audio gear.

Thank you.
cwlondon

Showing 1 response by bday0000

CW,

You wrote:

Or is the baby Mozart stuff just some hoax marketed to striving yuppie parents?

If you are referring to the study that claimed that children who listened to classical music became more intelligent, it is a hoax. I am friends with a psychologist that was involved in the study for the state of GA and he downplays it. (Remember those CDs that were given out to new parents???)

As far as music and work or concentration go (in my experience), when I am able to block out the music and concentrate on the task at hand I am much more deeply focused. It only lasts for minutes at the time, though. But, when I am distracted, I am DISTRACTED!!!!!

The way I see it is, when I can shut the music out and concentrate for a while, I then reward myself with a little musical distraction. I repeat this process until I have accomplished what I set out to do, or give up and listen to some tunes. If the distraction becomes too powerful I go with silence then binge on music later when I have time.

Brad Day
Atlanta, GA