Can you help or do I have to get divorced?

Size and Placement does matter do to a misunderstood wife. I can't have speakers on stands, I can't have floorstanding speakers, and in-wall speakers are too permanent. What in the hell am I suppost to do? My room is 17' X 14' and I'm looking for speakers that will be used for music listening and eventually home theater listening. (when I can afford to complete the system). I want to find a good pair of speakers and amp that I can eventually build a good home theater system with. I need to stay below $1,000 for speakers. Any advice?
tommyt
Believe me guys I will get what I want. The main reason I posted this thread was to find out if there were any good sounding speakers that didn't have to be on stands and weren't huge. Afterall the room I'm furnishing isn't large to begin with. Because I'm not truely knowledgeable about speakers and don't have many high-end audio stores in the area to audition them, I thought it would be wise to ask audio-nuts who have listened to all the speakers out there to get an idea what I should look for. Maybe I did a poor job of wording the question. But you know what, It was fun reading the responses you guys had. True audio freaks. I'm leaning towards a smaller stand mount speaker. Beleive me when I say, my wife is as cool as it gets. She is not a control freak, just concerned about the looks of the family room. Afterall the Klipsch speakers were pretty ugly, even I'll admit to that. Someday when we have a big enough house, I'll have my own room of kick ass audio/video gear. Thanks for all your responses, it's time to pick on someone else.
In that case, try a nice pair of Proac Response 2S. Make sure they're on stands, and out a couple feet from room boundaries.
Don't get divorced, she got my last hi fi. It's cheaper to keep her. I could have had the ultimate system but she got the upgrading bug. :)
I'll take take the stereo
Yup I can help you, take her with you when you go audition speakers. That way she has input on the right color speaker for the room or you can get those lil Bose cubes(HT in the box)and hide them. To all the single men reading this post -take a lesson, this is why you need complete your system before marriage or you end up with a Bose--Ht in the box system.
What about B&W 602 bookshelf speakers, at roughly $600 per pair? I don't own them, but have heard them in a dealer's audition room, and they sounded very clean and detailed. They have a reputation for sounding bright initially, but neutral once they're broken in. At a lower price, what about KEF Cresta 2 speakers, or PSB Alphas? I think our friend is looking for some advice on equipment, not chest-thumping riffs impugning his masculinity unless he chooses confrontation over accomodation. Maybe a few of you have career ambitions to become the underwriters for the college tuition payments of some domestic relations lawyer's offspring, but I think he's just looking to buy some good-sounding speakers he and his wife can both live with.