Can you have too much speaker presence?

My dealer says I’d lose too much speaker presence if I went to a smaller speaker. I’m not posting the speaker in question solely because I don’t want this to become an attack on them. I get it, presence means there and in the area, but can too much become and issue, especially when it is centered in a specific frequency range? 

hiendmmoe

Want to thank all the posts related to my question. My speakers are large and sometimes I feel like they give me too much. What I mean by that is the presentation can seem overwhelming at times. 

OP,

If the presentation can seem overwhelming… that to me says you have overloaded the room… tube traps, diffusers and absorbers at key locations are indicated.

Also, I am not trying to be a jerk here. Turn down the volume.

I think the presence suggestion relates to what I would term natural presence.Which is impacted by the baffle size .Smaller baffled speakers have less output in the midrange which means the frequencies above that have to be attenuated to balance the frequency response.That is baffle step compensation.

It is arguably two wrongs trying to make a right.You tend to lose more than just efficiency.You lose natural presence and replace it with throttled presence and  then rely on injecting more power to compensate [reconstitute if you like] . It is an imperfect solution.Like the sonic version of powdered milk!

Post removed 

The dealer must be talking about the 1976 Led Zeppelin Presence album. ark,ark!