can someone explain Native DSD256 via its I²S?

Hi,
So I am looking at purchasing a Cocktail Audio X50D, and I plan on using the HDMI out to run into my Krell Foundation 4k UHD, which has USB 2.0 and 2.2 HDMI inputs.

In the X50D description I see this:

"Already have an outboard DAC you like? Then the X50D is perfect for you. The X50D can support up to Native DSD256 via its I²S Digital Output (RJ45 & HDMI) for high-end audiophiles who have already a nice DAC which has I²S digital input. There is also a USB Class 2.0 output for music lovers and audiophiles to use with their own outboard DAC. Via the Word Clock Out, the X50D will send out the sample rate signal of currently playing file. And for quick data transfer purposes, the X50D offers two high speed USB3.0 Host ports."

What does DSD256 and ²S Digital Output mean?

I assume that it will work with the 2.0 (or 2.2 inputs on the Krell) - but is there some "higher level" of digital signal transfer implied with DSD256 that the Krell does not have? I did not see any mention of DSD256 in the Krell manual, but I did see comments about "DSD".

Also, would I be better off to run the digital out from the X50 via optical into the Krell for sonic reasons? I wanted to use the HDMI out so I can project album art from the X50 onto my TV while playing music.

If anyone can explain it would be greatly appreciated. I have looked online but I am not that technically savvy enough when it comes to stuff like this.

Thank you

babyseaotter99
DSD256 means it has a resolution 256 times that of standard CD at 44.1khz. IlS or I2S is a protocol  used to send the audio signal  it's not HDMI. I doubt it will send video to the Krell and you will need to make sure the I2s signal sent by the cocktail can be read by the Krell there are different ones used by different manufacturers,  there isn't a standard.