Can Music Reference MR9 drive Tannoy DMT 215 II

The Tannoy monitor DMT 215 needs 150 wpc to 500 wpc to drive it. I only have a Music Reference RM9 which is only 100 wpc. Will it ok to drive this monitor without causing amplifier clipping? Please advice! Thanks
kinhoang

Showing 6 responses by jburidan

No problem. I drive mine with Art Audio Jota HC monoblocks with 22-24 watts per channel depending on choice of output tubes. Bass response is superb. With 100 tube-watts per channel, these speakers will blow out your eardrums before they ever clip. You're lucky to own the 215 DMT!
You're welcome, Kinhoang. I bought a pair of speaker stands from Sound Anchors. The proprietor has a set of 215 DMT drawings, and he makes sturdy custom stands for the 215s. Mine are mounted vertically with bass drivers on the bottom and port holes on the outboard side. Speakers are toed-in slightly so that the lines of sound converge just behind my listening chair which is about eight feet away from the speakers. This set-up was recommended by Peter Lanzilotta, who is a recording studio guru. It's amazing to think that many of the greatest recordings were final mastered on these very speakers that I use in my listening room!!!

Also, I have used 300B SETs with 8-12 watts on these speakers with no problem. But the Jotas do a better job controlling the bass.

Enjoy :)

Hi Kinhoang: The tweeter should be at ear level when you are in your listening chair. My custom Sound Anchor stands are adjustable. Some of the bass boominess is sure to disappear after you lift the speakers off the floor. But you may still have to deal with acoustical null and peak room modes by, e.g., using wall treatments. I put treatments on the walls and ceiling. Also, play around with the low-frequency window settings in the crossover.

My electronics are quiet, but I have had noisy preamps in the past; and intermittent buzzing from a tube that was going bad. Make sure your tubes are quiet. And use hub- or star-grounding (both terms have the same meaning) with everything plugged into a central hub, and only one grounded plug going from hub into wall outlet.

Good luck
Agree with Charles1dad. My Jotas are wired for 8 ohms, and the system sounds great. But try both, if you can, and trust your ears.
Kinhoang: What are the dimensions of your listening room? There shouldn't be a problem with too much bass, unless the room is small, speakers are too close to room boundaries or crossover caps have been modified from the original design.
Kinhoang, your room size is large enough for the Tannoys to breathe. If you don't already own the Cary 2A3, you might think about the Wavelength Audio 2A3 monoblocks that are (or recently were) for sale here. I don't know the seller, and I haven't heard the Wavelength 2A3. But my experience with 300B SETs leads to guess that the Wavelength 2A3 sounds less colored than the Cary, i.e., more linear (flat) frequency response.

To repeat: I'm not recommending the seller -- be careful as usual -- but I'm recommending the designer, Gordon Rankin.