Can a DAC sort out a flat\cold amp?

My pc is connected to an external sound card (scarlett 2i4 by focusrite). I bought the Yamaha a-s1200 & am really disappointed at the brightness & the lack of bass to the extend I prefer listening to my portable JBL boombox. I'm in no position to sell or trade this amplifier so I thought a DAC with eq may help the predicament. Since auditioning my equipment is not an option in my country I have no choice but to buy something purely on recommendations. I also thought about replacing the speakers but since I listen to soundcloud & youtube i really think upscaling & eq will be much more cost effective option in sorting out this issue & may give me the confidence to try a much more expensive speaker option. what would you recommend?

128x128orenm145

Showing 2 responses by lanx0003

You might want to consider trading YH 1200 for a used Hegel H90 with some money left back to your pocket. This integrated amp is equipped with more than adequate DAC/Stream which allows you to play music directly from Hegel. It is a very wonderful thing because the desktop music playing is like a third rail. It has only 60 wpc but high current with damping factor more than 2000 which should drive your speakers with authority and clean bass.  

IF you desire more power, a used Hegel H160 will just cause you $300-500 more than H90.  See the review by https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2iLYRjCFOw&t=1156s.

"A gross lack of bass is NOT characteristic of that amp or any properly functioning modern HiFi SS amp..."

With due respect, I disagree with this statement here.  The disparity of treble, midrange and bass sound signatures among all types of amp. could be highly significant.  This applies to Yamaha as1200 without exception.  Listening to several reviewers such as Tarun (a british audiophile) and Andrew (Robinson), they both point out as1200's bass is nimble, textured but not as weighty/full as compared to several noteworthy competitors.  It has been well-known the Yamaha amplifiers were relatively leaner sounding in the bass region and that was why I start up my 2-channel hi-fi system with the Harmon Kardon Integrated amplifier 25 years ago.  Don't get me wrong, the higher end Yamaha amplifier like this does shine in its high-end frequency clarity which produces very transparent / detailed treble. But as a compromise, this clarity also extends into its midrange which also produces leaner sounding compared to its peers.

Given that sound signatures of the amplifier, it is difficult for a DAC to mitigate its leaner performance in midrange or bass.  While noticeable refinement can be expected, a complete make-over that changes the sound signatures of a amplifier is less likely.  That is why I was suggesting a cost-effective solution with Hegel Integrated amp.  Don't take my words for it.  I am just translating my previous experience to the OP so he could make more informative decision.