Cambridge CXR200 vs Anthem MRX720

Anybody able to compare the audio quality and character of the Cambridge CXR200 vs the Anthem MRX720? I don't live in an area where I can demo either but am interested in upgrading an old Pioneer receiver (old enough that it doesn't have HDMI) for a 5.1 setup in a living room. It will be used probably 85% for TV/movies & 15% for stereo via streaming, CDs, and a VPI Nomad turntable.

Speakers are B&W 685s2s for LR and in-wall B&Ws for the center and surrounds. SVS SB2000 sub.

The room is far from sonically optimized with a large opening to another room and one wall being mostly floor to ceiling windows, so I'm thinking ARC might make the Anthem a better option. I can't ignore how glowing the reviews of the Cambridge sound is for a receiver with so few bells & whistles...plus the idea of an all British system (except the sub) just seems to make sense for admittedly no justifiable reason at all. Won't be able to add Atmos anytime soon so it's not an advantage for me. Any comparison of the ease of using the built in streaming functions/apps/etc for the family would be an added plus though. Thanks!

I realize that a dedicated stereo would give better sound quality but I want the best single box solution to keep the setup as simple as possible for the wife and kids...my dedicated stereo is in another room anyway for when I really want to enjoy music.

ethos123

Showing 1 response by woopwoop

Hi, I know this is a old thread but any chance of getting an opinion comparing the Primare Spa22 with the Cambridge Cxr200 in overall sound, vision and quality. 
I'm asking because my Spa22 with the upgraded HD boards went bang last night and did some damaged to the psu, so I'm thinking instead of getting it fixed right away just buy a new unit as the repairs are not going to be cheap. I've come across an okay deal on a cxr200 and the reviews sound pretty good.

Cheers
Marty