Cable burn in

Hi all. I’m guessing that what I’m experiencing is pretty normal. But it can’t hurt to get some feedback. I purchased a DMS-650 from Cary Audio which is a DAC/Streamer. Since hifi folks have highly opinionated views on cables, nothing is included with the unit. So when I set it up, I had to scramble and I found the three conductor cable that came with a cheap Sony DVD player. Then I replaced that RCA interconnect with a much better quality Blue Jeans cable. Initially the increase in quality was apparent and obviously worth it. However the sound could be hasrsh on certain recordings. Various tracks had a harshness that wasn’t there before. I’ve been playing internet radio during the day for burn in. Now that harshness has vanished. Sitting down to listen last night, things were actually too warm. Some tracks sounded almost muddy. The sparkle was diminished in an obvious way. I am guessing that once burn is complete the sound will settle happily in the middle somewhere. Is that a reasonable assumption?  I’m also likely going to order power cables and an interconnect from Audio Envy or maybe some other companies to compare. The guy who sold me the Cary Audio gear is not a salesy guy, but he did pretty emphatically recommend some higher quality cables. 

chiadrum

JasonBourne52 I see you're still as dumb as a fence post if you think that wires don't make a difference in sound different and obviously the equipment you have is not very good LOL quit spewing lies to people you have no idea what you're talking about.

Nordost article on cable burn in:

I found what they write on potential electrical effects of cable burn-in not overly convincing. Graduate degree in automation of physics experiments, and consequent experience of working in two national labs, makes me skeptical toward such claims. What I heard from a music college professor is easier for me to believe.

The professor attended a cable presentation at his local audio show. The rep giving the presentation was swapping the cables from generic to expensive to more expensive to very expensive to outrageously expensive. Each time, the sound quality of the same fragment of music noticeably improved.

Little did the rep know that the professor was covertly using a sound volume meter. Each time the rep swapped a cable, somehow, volume went up about 2db. Apparently, simultaneously with swapping the cable, the rep was slightly nudging up the volume control.

Duped once by such a trick, a person may then honestly believe that cables make a big difference, and such prior conditioning helps finding such differences later on. I'd recommend buying a sound volume meter, and matching the output to at least half a decibel at a fixed frequency, let's say 1 KHz, before making any comparisons.

Youtube has plenty of suitable test signals.

@chiadrum 

Mogami is high quality cable, in one word transparent the way any cable should be. Its use in many professional recording and broadcast studios speaks to the quality. These are environments where the BS and sales hype of overpriced cables have no influence, only sound and material quality that gets the job done matters. Anything more is fluff marketed at those with more money and ego than practical wisdom and common sense, like most here.

Anyone needing a rationale for experimenting with new cables in their system and/or feeling dissuaded by the Church of Denyin'tology's antiquated electrical doctrines: take heart!

Many new electrical facts have been established in the past 100 years, that support audible differences, between various cables, etc.

I couldn't find anything like, "Updated Electrical Theory For Idiots", but- did manage to find something resembling a cartoon, that even a child could follow.  It neither mentions AC/sinusoidal waves in wires, nor does it go into the photon propagation of electromagnetic waves.   It does, however, emphasize/demonstrate how Electrical Theory has progressed, since the 1800s:                                                             https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGJqykotjog

The following presupposes a certain amount of knowledge, in the field of modern Electrical Theory.    Click, "more" in the first link's first answer, to get it's entirety.    Note how it mentions the OLD,  "... commonly held misconception that the flow of electricity through a wire resembles a tube filled with ping pong balls...", to which most Denyin'tologists fervently adhere: 

https://www.quora.com/Are-photons-involved-in-all-forms-of-electricity-for-example-when-it-flows-through-wires?utm_medium=organic&utm_source=google_rich_qa&utm_campaign=google_rich_qa

and:

https://van.physics.illinois.edu/ask/listing/2348

It's an established (measured) fact that an electromagnetic wave's propagation and speed, are dependent on the materials of which the transmission line (cable) are made (ie: Dielectric Constant/permittivity).     The better (lower) the Dielectric Constant the better the flow and the longer it takes for that material, to become polarized.     One reason anything that comprises an RLC circuit (ie: capacitors, cables, PC boards), takes time to, "form" or, "break/burn-in".*  

*Something that makes the Denyin'tologists apoplectic.  

https://resources.pcb.cadence.com/blog/2019-dielectric-constant-of-pcb-substrate-

materials-and-signal-integrity

and (note: frequency figures in EVERY equation and our typical music signal is comprised of a VERY complex mix of information/frequencies, potentially lending to multiple time smears, if not handled correctly):

https://unlcms.unl.edu/cas/physics/tsymbal/teaching/EM-914/section5-Guided_Waves.pdf

Even the most inane (regarding the Sciences) must admit; braiding and twisting wires eliminates/reduces EMI interference.

That, of a necessity, lends credence to various cable geometries.

That better dielectrics enhance the propagation of electromagnetic waves (ie: your music signal), lends the same credence to choosing cables with better materials (ie: Polypropylene, Teflon, air, etc).

Of course: anything the Church of Denyin'tology's popes can't fathom, they'll summarily dismiss (uneducated twits that they are).

I'd recommend buying a sound volume meter, and matching the output to at least half a decibel at a fixed frequency, let's say 1 KHz, before making any comparisons.

Youtube has plenty of suitable test signals.

I (personally) know of no one that listens to test signals, via their home audio system and (as alluded to above*): there's MUCH MORE involved when attempting to reproduce the complexity of music in a reverberant environment (ie: various voices instrumental, vocal, their separation/placement and ambient information).

YES: the better part of the above is a copy/paste of a previous post.

FACTS have no expiration date!

Happy listening and (as Richard Feynman would often encourage): NEVER STOP LEARNING!   

And the FACT is that when a cable is intelligently designed and manufactured with quality raw materials and meets the purpose of transmitting the audio signal as transparently as possible while faithfully reproducing the recorded signal through the audible band, nothing more is required. Professional recording studio technicians are after neutrality in the cable's signal path. Anything other than that is coloration of the signal. Pretty simple really. As a technician and a lover of music reproduction in my listening room, I want as neutral and pure reproduction of the recorded music as possible. Some of us listen to and enjoy the music first and foremost, not the equipment being the tools delivering it.