ca 640p + thorens TD-160 +at150MLX+ Revox A720

Hello everyone
I have a Thorens TD-160 mark II and a cambridge audio 640p . I have done quite a bit of research for the right cartridge and when I listened (on the net only unfortunately) to the AUDIO TECHNICA AT-150 MLX I was really impressed ! Different class this cartridge ...I would like to get it and although I tried to calculate stuff for compliance I am not quite sure I know what I am doing .At the moment the 640p is connected to my sl1200 mark II with a ortofon nightclub s cartridge which is 6.0mv output .With this combination through my Revox preamp is very loud ,I only have to put the volume at 1 or 2 and it produces quite a loud and full signal .What would happen with the thorens and at150?Thorens has a light arm.Thank u
hungrygorilla

Showing 3 responses by johnnyb53

02-21-11: Hungrygorilla
...I am happy that with a little weight the thorens should be ok with the at150 ! So I guess before I get the stuff you suggested I could just put a 5-pence coin which is exactly 5gr place it on the headshell and it would meet reasonance of 11Hz, right ?
Yeah, that should pretty much work the same. You could use some Blu-Tack to secure the 5-pence to the headshell. You will want to center the coin as well as you can. If it's too off-center I'd think that the uneven pressure could strain the bearings a bit or affect the azimuth alignment.
The AT150MLX would be a good match with your Technics, especially if you mount it to a 14g Sumiko or LPGear ZuPreme headshell to increase the effective mass to 18.5g. I can't speak for the TD160; they used various tonearms and are from the era of high compliance cartridges and low effective mass. Some TD160 arms have an effective mass as low as 7.5g. At that weight you might be better off with something with more compliance such as a Shure M97xE (could put a Jico stylus on to upgrade it), Grado, or Ortofon 2M series.
You can view the cartridge/arm chart for the AT150MLX here. It looks like with the 8.3g AT150MLX on an arm with 7.5g effective mass, the resonant peak is 13 Hz, which is a little high. If you could increase effective mass by 4 to 5g, it would lower the resonance to 11 Hz which is more in the ideal zone. If you combine this 3g headshell weight with these special 2g headshell screws it'll take your arm's effective mass into the sweet zone and lower the resonant frequency to 11g.