Buying Used Equipment on the Internet

Hello all, 

Had a question for the more experienced hi-fi enthusiasts here. I'm new to this hobby and currently still trying out new gear to see what I like. I was looking into trying out the Parasound Halo Hint 6 amplifier and found a used one through AudioMart. 

My question is: what advice would people have for buying used equipment online? The pricing is attractive but there's also no option for returns once the transaction goes through. What's to stop someone from offloading a lemon on to an unsuspecting buyer?

Thanks!

aamiransari

Showing 1 response by dwest1023

Good advice here. If you are new to the game, you might start off with TMR,ebay or this site. Buying used IMO is when you know what your want and looking for a good price. I did one friends and family purchase, but I did contact the person I bought from. I got a good felling from the person and he had what I really wanted. No issue, but it is definitely a gamble. I have even found good deals from dealers overseas. You sometimes have to deal with customs, but I have gotton some very good deals on new audio. Again, nothing beats experience. You never can do to much research.