Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II

“For those who want the moon but can't afford it or those who can afford it but like to have fun and work with their hands, I'm willing to give out a recipe for a true high-end 'table which is easy to do, and fun to make as sky's the limit on design/creativity! The cost of materials, including 'table, is roughly $200 (depending, more or less), and add to that a Rega tonearm. The results are astonishing. I'll even tell/show you how to make chipboard look like marble and fool and impress all your friends. If there's interest I'll get on with this project, if not, I'll just continue making them in my basement. The next one I make will have a Corian top and have a zebra stripe pattern! Fun! Any takers?”

The Lead in “Da Thread” as posted by Johnnantais - 2-01-04

Let the saga continue. Sail on, oh ships of Lenco!
mario_b
Participants in this forum may be interested in an article by Garrard chief engineer E. W. Mortimer, in the July 1967 issue of Component Technology magazine, a technical publication of the Plessey Group, which owned Garrard at the time.

Go to:

http://home.earthlink.net/~transcrubbers/id18.html
I'm using an AT1005II with my lenco - but I'm missing the bias weight - Does anyone know how much it weighs? Could a lenco bias weight work? Or an SME 3009 Weight? Thanks.
Hi Ghougary, I don't think plaster is overdamping, it being fairly neutral and non-absorptive. Give it a go! As to the bias weight, biasing is not an exact science, as the force actually changes as the needle travels across the LP, there is no absolute value. So I think the Lenco weight would be perfect, actually close to the size/mass of the original, which is quite small. Been really busy these days, but will be back with yet more Idler Impressions later ;-).

Had been away from home the last few days, and played Pink Floyd's The Wall, and while I was drinking pop from the bottle (bad me), I almost swallowed the bottle when the Lenco Dynamics came suddenly slamming out from a quiet introduction!! Forgot just how SLAMMING the Mighty Lenco/Idler was!! The words are "speed stability", true, in-practice, actually-playing-a-record, Speed Stability. There goes the one musical advantage digital has over vinyl! Back later for more ;-).
Hey Guy's,

I'm new to the idler thread, but have had my Garrard 301 for a good while now... still loving it too! I have a couple of questions I wonder if any of you have experience with.....

I have a strobe platter and original oil bearing. I have noticed lately that my bearing seems to be making some noise. I fully cleaned and lubed it when I bought the table and built it up and it looked really good. No scoring or anything (almost looked new). I am using a 30 weight oil in it..... Any thoughts??

Also my platter rings when I tap it. I have a Herbies mat on it which helps everything out (a super upgrade to the original). I am thinking about trying to get a friend with a wood lathe turn me one out of wood..... Kind of like the Teres. Anyone ever tried this?

I am even contemplating the Shindo platter bearing system, but it's incredibly pricey.

Thanks for any input

Chris