Building a new listening room. Help ?

I have searched the archives and I have not found a thread that helps me out yet. I have a section of our basement that I can turn into a listening room/office without getting too much grief from the wife. The rough dimensions (before adding wall materials) is 7 feet high (low duct problems) by 13 feet wide, 16 feet long. Only one small basement window in the back that can be covered. I want this little room to have big sound, big bass. I also want to soundproof so I can listen at high volume. I assume that building a room that is not coupled with the existing structure (other than the concrete walls (on 2 sides) or the floor (concrete as well) is a good way to start. I have no problem creating odd shaped, tapered walls so that it is not just a shoebox. I would prefer it to be subtle if possible, so it is still usable in the future. I assume wall treatments will be necessary, but I would like to keep them subtle if possible too. Given the outer dimensions is it possible to get down to 25 hz? I will be running 2 pairs of Infinity Kappa 9's powered by 2 600 wpc Sunfire Signature Stereo amps (running 1200 wpc into each of the 4 Kappa 9's at 4 ohms). This will be a 2 channel set-up only BTW. What resource (including yourselves) would help me in doing this little project? Books, sites, software, the works...
a71spud

Showing 1 response by krycek0074

Robert E. Green has written some cool stuff on the TAS website, and if I remember correctly, makes reference to other literature on the subject of acoustics. Good luck. If it were me personally, I wouldn't worry about how low the theories describe the room can go, because the dimensions are beyond your control. Also, how is it possible for headphones to go below 25 Hz, if a large room is required to hear deep bass? In asking this, I am trying to provoke your own curiousities. There's no substitute for doing your own research. All the best to you.