budget USB S/PDIF converter?

long time lurker. thanks in advance for all the amazing info here.

looking for a budget (under $100) solution for usb > s/pdif from my PC laptop. this is a temp solution as i'll be upgrading to a dedicated PC for music that will have digital outs (btw, would love a recommendation for a good sound card with digital out too if anyone has one).

thanks in advance.
moosigny
Whatever you spent for the DAC, you should spend about the same or even more for the converter, otherwise you are not hearing what your DAC can do.

Would you buy a $1K turntable and then put a $50 cartridge on it? I dont think so.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
i totally hear you, but this is for a month or so until i build my media PC which will have optical out. fittingly, i was actually just on your site reading some tips!
digital out from a PC is a waste. Ive built a PC music server from scratch, played with the ASUS Essence STX, Musicstream II async USB DAC, and am using a Vlink async USB converter to PS Audio Dlink III DAC now. No onboard PC option ever sounded close to an async USB option. Buy the Musicstreamer II if you are cash strapped,
There is a PCI card with USB ports on it that evidently makes USB from a PC desktop more listenable. Have not heard it yet myself though..

Steve N.
Empirical Audio