Budget Speaker Recommendation?

Looking for a budget bookshelf model, new or used. Price range is around $300-400. Listen to mostly rock and roll, some jazz and classical. Room is a pretty open family room (15x20) with high ceilings and that blends right into the kitchen. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
dewey88

Showing 1 response by stewart0722

If I was looking today based on your description, I would seriously consider the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR

Andrew Jones is a legendary speaker designer, formerly with
KEF and now with Pioneer's luxury brand, TAD Loudspeakers.
He is typically found designing loudspeaker systems in
the 30,000 and up range.

He designed these loudspeakers and they have been reviewed extremely favorably in the audiophile press.

They were designed to sell for 250-300, but Amazon has them for 129.00 and if you'd like to add the subwoofer, it is 129.00 as well. No fancy veneers here, but the drivers are far better than any speaker in the sub 500 range.

I have a pair of these on a very low cost tube integrated in my office system and the sound is truly remarkable. At 129 per pair, it is a miracle that they can sell this kind of sound for so little........

There's an interview on youtube with the designer, look up Andrew Jones Home Theater Geeks and you should find it.

Also many reviews on this series of loudspeakers.

Don't let the brand name fool you. These are the best Pioneer speakers in terms of value that has ever been made and you can do no better south of 500.00 or so....