Budget minded bookshelves

I'm beginning to build my budget college setup (I'm a freshmen) and am really confused when it comes to speakers because there's just so many choices. I already have an Onix SP3 MKII integrated amp and a Fubar II USB DAC. Right now I'm looking for some decent bookshelf speakers in the $3-350 range used. That price does not include shipping. Any ideas? I'm looking at mainly B&W DM602s and PSB B25s. Since I'm around 150 miles from any kind of dealer auditioning isn't an option -- but I'm okay with buying and trying, and selling if necessary. None of the dealers I can find have any "low-end" stuff in stock.
uncledavid218

Showing 4 responses by uncledavid218

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll look into all of those mentioned. I mainly listen to rock and folk, if it makes any difference. I prefer a more forward sound with lots of sound stage. None of my music uses too much low stuff.
The Von Schweikert's look appealing.

I'm wondering how I'd get a sub attached to my system with the NHTs as my amp doesn't have a sub-out. I could plug the sub directly into my sound card on my PC but since I'm using a USB DAC it disables the sound card when in use.

And thanks for the input on the DM602s, after doing some reading that looks like a general consensus.

Also, I don't have any neighbors or anyone nearby that would care, so the music can be as loud or bassy as I want :)
I found some Paradigm 20s for 400 OBO... should I bite if I can get them for $350 or less?