Buchardt S400 Mk II vs Sony SSCS 5 in Bass

I am still in the quest for a ideal bookshelf / stand mount as my secondary system. Recently I procured Buchardt S400 Mk II for in-home auditioning a month ago. The top end and midrange SQ is top-notch, airy and rich with dynamics. However, the bass is a bit on the light side to my taste. Although it is rated down to 33hz (- 3 dB) in room, I do not feel the bass is that impactful as compared to the Sony SSCS 5 which is only rated down to 53Hz (-3dB). Both me and my best half could hear more impactful, better-defined double bass notes from SSCS 5 than from S400. I was so puzzled / annoyed by this. Let me lay out the main specs that might affect the bass performance for comparison purpose.

Buchardt S400 Mk ii                Sony sscs 5

Woofer          6" paper cone (on top)             5.12" cone (on bottom)

Enclosure      1 rear 8"x5" passive radiator   1 rear port

Bass rating    33 Hz (-3dB)                            53 Hz (-3dB)

Efficiency       88 dB/m/w                               87 dB/m/w

Both were driven by the same components, speaker placements, supported by the semi-sphere silicone footers, and evaluated with the same music. Does the rear port design more effective than the passive radiator? Does the position of woofer affect the bass weight? Can someone, in particular who owned the S400, shed a light on this please?

lanx0003

Showing 2 responses by tunefuldude

I can not believe nobody around here talks about Usher BE 718's.

I scored a used pair for twelve hundred, including delivery. I won't even try to describe the to you, but I will tell you that the beryllium tweeter makes them super special in the high frequencies.

And I want to personally challenge you, to find a bookshelf with a better bass response, for the money.

You should do a quick search and read a couple of reviews.

I believe they would stun you and I'm not joking.

@lanx0003 Listening to my bookshelf speakers this evening, and dude, the way this speaker does strings. Anything with strings, including a piano. It’s the beryllium tweeter. It’s truly unbelievable. Again, for the money.

I’m not even using a sub and there’s nothing missing. Which is hard for me to believe, personally.But it’s true. Would it be better w/ a sub? Absolutely.

Apparently, they chose to use their best version of their in house made 7" doped paper cone woofer when they designed them.

They weigh close to forty pounds a piece. Yep, 37.9, I just checked.

The key with these babies is driving them with some really good electronics. And what you have would do the job real well. The reviews said, in essence, that they like to be driven hard. just like my old Ducati. : ) Not joking.

The Ducati mechanic here in KC, Mario, was a riding buddy of mine, and he’s the one that told me. He said they run their best when you keep the rpm’s up high. Like all the time. The reason is because it was a real high torque motor. It made it’s power in the upper part of the power band. You can imagine how much fun it was to wind that baby up. Especially quick in the twisties. Makes my heart pang a little bit, just thinking of it. The dry clutch sounded so freaking sexy. It was cool.

But these speakers are very similar, in a sense. You don’t have to play! them hard to get good sound out of them. I know some speakers are like that. As a matter of fact, these sound real good at low levels. But when you have a LOT of power behind! them, that’s what will really make them sing. You have to drive! them with lots of power. You’ll understand what I’m saying if you decide to score a pair: you kind of have to hear it to believe it. And, of course, if it's good, clean power that's what will make them really shine.

Are you anywhere close to KC? I wish you could come by my place and hear them.