Buchardt A500, KEF LS50 Wireless, etc. What are your top 3 downsides?

I'm seeing reviews popping up recently for the new version of the KEF LS50 wireless and the Buchardt A500. PS Audio is working on a wireless speaker, too, I gather. Specific models don't really matter. I'm interested in the general approach these products represent.

What you would you list as the top three most important minuses for investing in these speakers as the system? Sonic quality? Likelihood to become outdated by newer technologies? Lack of choice regarding DAC, etc?

Or, if it's really hard to come up with major downsides for these types of speakers, are they harbingers of a larger shift for audiophiles?

I don't have a bias, here. More interested in drawing out your views and experience.
128x128hilde45

Showing 3 responses by b_limo

Kef LS50W’s are finnicky.  I think the electronics have a 50/50 shot of being dead in 10 years.  The app for the ls50’s is awful as is the remote.

Dynaudio felt much better as far as remote control functions, and thr electronics never gave me any issues on the xeo 6’s.

The Buchardts look great!  Room correction on the hub, master sound setting on the speaker, xlr inputs (no room correction), 24/96khz, good remote control.

I think self powered, dsp speakers might be the future audiophiles speaker of choice.  The kids today aren’t into the gear like we were or are.

The ability to amplify each driver with no crossover and add in dsp and you’ve got a hard combo to beat.  You’d think that the engineer of the speaker knows well, how to match amps to the drivers to achieve their desired outcome of sound.
Something else that I really liked about the Dynaudio Xeo’s are that the hub will connect to multiple pairs so you could have 3 or 4 different pairs of xeo’s throughout the house all streaming the same music with no latency issues.  

I’d like to see a shootout between the Dynaudio XD’s and the Buchardts.  They’re similar money and I think it would be a good comparison.

Wow, good to know about that about genelac.
I think that having just amplified, or self powered speakers, seems to be more reliable.  Takes the dac and dsp out of the equation.  Besides, the dac is really what we want to upgrade.

But then theres the whole controversy over what effects having your electronics inside the speaker cabinet have on your speakers as well.

I’ve always thought that you can compile a better system with various components from different manufacturers but MBL is one of my favorite and both times I heard them, they were complete MBL systems.