Bryston SP3

I am considering replacing my 2 channel YBA 2 Preamp with a Pre/Pro such as the Bryston SP3 in order to move my main home system (YBA/Genesis Technologies V)  from 2 channel to 5.1 home theatre.  The Bryston SP3 has been around a while, but is still currently offered by the manufacturer and can be found on the used market for about $4500.    I have not looked at new equipment for some time and wanted to know if the Bryston SP3 is still considered good value compared to current offerings.

Enter your text ...
joe11554
Oh, Bryston SP3 is pretty locked in. It will not really have any "upgrade path" per say. Pretty much all HT Processors are "locked in" with the exception of a few. Krell Foundation and Emotiva XMC have had HDMI board upgrades.   NAD, Meridian and Theta Digital are designed to have module’s that can be replaced.

From Bryston list of upgrades -

1) The new USB module will support PCM 192/24 as well as DSD Native/64/128.

2) Board upgrades

SP-3 with version 5 main board can upgrade to STEREO plus SURROUND MODES PCM 192/24 as well as STEREO plus SURROUND MODES DSD for $600

SP-3 with version 2/3 or 4 main board replaced with version 5 main board can be upgrade to STEREO plus SURROUND MODES PCM 192/24 as well as STEREO plus
        SURROUND MODES DSD for $1500

well, that's nice!  It will be the only HT Processor that does DSD from USB input.  I believe the Emotiva XMC will accept DSD through HDMI, but that is going to be crappy.