Bryston 7B SST

Hi There,

First post of many I hope.

I am using a PS Audio Directstream into a pair of the above monoblocks running into B&W 802 diamonds. The Brystons have a 1v/2v gain setting and a switch for balanced input (XLR) or single ended.

On adding a PS Audio BHK Preamp I noticed a lower relative volume in the right speaker and after checking inputs / isolating components / cutting back to just the Directstream and testing I find that:
On single ended leads, both speakers have equal volume on 1v (1v is louder than 2v)
On single ended leads, both speakers have equal volume on 2vOn XLR, one speaker is louder on 1vOn XLR, one speaker is louder on 2v
So it seems that using XLR, one of the monoblocks is putting out more volume on both of the gain settings relative to the other.

I can run them on single ended leads on the 1v setting to get equal volume, but I can’t help thinking that I’m missing out somehow.

Anyone have any ideas as to what may be wrong or maybe has experienced similar?
Thanks,
Marcus.
astonmartinv8
Hello astonmartinv8,

Yes, room acoustics are very important. It also will be beneficial to move your right speaker as far away from the corner as possible. if you’re able. Just moving both l+r speakers further away from the wall behind them should also be beneficial, again if you're able to.

Tim
It looks like you've solved the problem. I would also flip the Bryston's gain switch back and forth a few times, in case it's intermittent.

(I used a 14BSST for years -- a similar amp to yours -- and it is one of my favorite amps ever. Now I'm using a 4B3, which also is excellent.)
Yes I flipped gain switch back and forth to make sure it was not faulty. Initially it made no difference on one of the blocks, then it did! May have been both switch and XLR cable. All good now.

Thanks very much to everyone for taking time out of your day to respond.
Marcus.