Bringing back the dead?

After reading the recent Stereophile's annual recommended components issue gave an idea for this thread. What are some of the best designed and produced audio products that is no longer in production? Apparently, I can't get this answer from reading new press. I am asking this question because I have only been in this hobby for about 10 years off and on. 10 years is not very long and I feel that I cannot not really appreciate this hobby without really understanding the past. Perhaps going forward, I can compare what's new to what I have been exposed to this past 10 years, but it would be nice to know what other products that was available before I started my audiophile journey. Is the best really yet to come or we have achieved the apex of hifi and we're all heading back down? Thanks for reading this thread and I look forward to reading your comments.
3chihuahuas
Old 70s Pioneer receiver and rogers speakers... I sold to my sister for dirt cheap and have regretted ever since. Minus a few details & bass response, it will do most audio tasks very nicely.. I know this isn't considered by some to be high end, but I would put it against some of the gear that is advertised as today's high end. This gear also was good enough to give me the virus that I have today for Audiophile gear.
One also should not forget some of the DIY (Dynaco, Heath) tubes, which can sound really nice if wired properly.
Funny, I ran into three pairs of the EPI 100's (with blown woofer surrounds) in various thrift shops this past weekend. A few months ago the same thing happened with the original Advent speaker. Almost everyone that I grew up with that was into music and gear owned one or the other at some point in time (before they went to AMT's:-).
the stainless steel, the wood sides, the fact that I had to have a custom rack made because its 4" wider than most components and... it can put some of your super-mega $20,000 systems to shame.Its wired to a new Pioneer Elite
dv-f07(gotta keep the wood sides)and a pair of Mirage om5c
towers. it looks great and sounds soothing to My soul.
Hey for being only 19 (and on a budget)this is the
best real world setup.Its easy to use,efficient,clean and can bring down the roof of the parties I throw. From Beethoven to Snoop Doggy-Dogg (both of which i love). My Sx-1050 @150 watts a ch. rocks...and to think I almost spent
$700.00 on an Nad something or other.