Bringing back the dead?

After reading the recent Stereophile's annual recommended components issue gave an idea for this thread. What are some of the best designed and produced audio products that is no longer in production? Apparently, I can't get this answer from reading new press. I am asking this question because I have only been in this hobby for about 10 years off and on. 10 years is not very long and I feel that I cannot not really appreciate this hobby without really understanding the past. Perhaps going forward, I can compare what's new to what I have been exposed to this past 10 years, but it would be nice to know what other products that was available before I started my audiophile journey. Is the best really yet to come or we have achieved the apex of hifi and we're all heading back down? Thanks for reading this thread and I look forward to reading your comments.
3chihuahuas
Well "3", how about a little bit of a twist to your basic idea here ??? How about if we list what we think were "ground breaking" or "trend setting" products ? You know, designs that were ahead of their time and may still compete with newer stuff even though it's not in current production. we can pick a product or two, spout of a brief blurb about it, why we think it was important and when it was made, etc... This will give you and many others a quick "what's what" and how things have progressed. Plus it will give us a little insight as to what various members like and think highly of. Sound like a plan ??? Sean
>
Sean, that's a great idea because it will allow this thread to focus in on the "innovative" products that are considered to be "future proof".
Here's one for starters. How about the original Quad 57 electrostatics. I know they did not have much bass, but not everyone wants this to the exclusion of everything else. They rolled of the highs and had a listener's hot spot. Boy what a mid range! Put them on stands about 12-18 inches high and angle them back.As long as you get the angle right and listen in the near field and preferably no not use the original Quad11 power amps they can sound wonderful. Use a Radford MA15 of ST25. Even an ML2. They were not the first electrostatic but commercially they made such an impact they have to be in the hall of fame. With companies offering refurbishment and one in Germany making them as new speakers as well as resurecting the Braun L1 there is obviously a future for these speakers.
Nice post, "3", takes us down memory lane! Following on from Peter (definitely, the Quads) I would add Apogee Scintillas: difficult to drive, but offering magic when well set up -- also a newish design concept at the time... and the little BBC LS3/5As monitors on stands (stands were a relatively new idea at the time, too). I'm sure someone can propose horn-loaded speakers as well...

TTs: the AR 101 (#?), the Linn LP12/Ittok (that's still in production)and the Goldmund Reference, could also fit the bill. Linn set the "start from your source" trend and, indeed, the TT was (still is) a good performer...
Old media: anyone remember the Nakamichi Dragon cassette player (then the "ultimate" in cassette reproduction), the old Revox R-to-R (can't remember the model #), and the open reel Nagras of the '60s?? Regarding the latter, sound reproduction was phenomenal (master tape level).
Tuner: the 1st Marantz stereo (made in the US). This had good reception AND great sound, by far superior to what radio had to offer at the time.
Amplification: MacIntosh 75 (I used to dream about that one), AR SP6 pre, the first classA Krells (by commercial standards of the time, they had super power reserves). M Levinson pre-amps: I remember the ML-6 (made before ML sold his name to Madrigal).
These come to mind now...
I started out my hi-end "hobby" 4 years ago with a $150 Dynaco ST-70 that was a stock unit.I had the filter caps replaced as they were no good.I hard wired a heavier gauge power cord,bought NOS RCA 7199 input tubes,Svetlana EL-34's and enjoyed the Hell out of it for 3 1/2 years.My Dynaco was always considered a temporary amp until I could afford my dream amp,a Pass Labs Aleph-3 ($2500) I now have my Pass and enjoy it as well.It is more detailed,more transparent and very clean sounding.For some reason though,I miss the Dynaco and find myself thinking about it when Im listening to music.I think I enjoyed it more than the Pass.The Dynaco seemed to inject soul into the music where the Pass doesnt.Maybe Im nuts but thats my opinion.