Bricasti M1 DAC vs PS Audio Direct Stream DAC

I own a PS Audio Direct Stream DAC that I like a lot but heard my friends system with the Bricasti M1 and I am strongly thinking of changing my DAC and would love your feedback from other members that have heard either or both. I know they are both great but really thinking of changing my Dac from PS Audio Direct Stream to the Bricasti M1 DAC. I use a HP Desk top computer as source with Jplay and JRiver Media 19 and the outstanding Tellurium Q BLACK DIAMOND Reference USB Cable. The rest of my system is below. I listen to Classic Rock, jazz, vocal, some modern music and the usual audiophile stuff.

Thanks

My system for reference.

Ascendo C-8 Renaissance Speakers (Germany) Monitor
Purist Audio Design Corvus Praesto Revision 2.5m Bi-Wire Speaker cable
Cardas Clear Interconnect 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Darwin TRUTH Pure Silver Reference 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Darwin TRUTH Pure Silver Reference 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Audio Research REFERENCE 1 w/Rhodium IEC/NOS Tubes Tube preamp
Decware ZSTAGE External Triode Output StageTelefunken ECC801S
PS Audio Direct Stream DSD DAC w/ Bridge DA converter
Tellurium Q BLACK DIAMOND Reference USB Cable
PS Audio PerfectWave PowerBase Vibration Cancelation/AC Condtioner
Conrad Johnson Premier 12 Mono's 140 Watts Tung-Sol KT120's amps
PS Audio PowerPlant Premier AC Regenerator
BMI Shark Pure Jeweler Grade Platinum AC Power Cable
Sablon Audio Petite Corona 2.0M AC Power Cable
Mad Scientist PC-NEO with Power Purifier AC Power Cable
JPS Labs The Power AC+ 2M AC Power Cable
Synergistic Research Labs Tesla Series SE T1 AC Power Cable
Synergistic Research Labs Tesla Series T1 AC Power Cable
PS Audio Noise Harvester (5) Converts noise to light
OYAIDE RI Beryllium Power Outlets (2)
Hubbell Outlet 5362/5262 Deep Cryo Process
Blue Circle Audio The Yalu Balula Industrial Surge/Spike Protection
JPLAY v5.2 hi-end audio player turns PC into a digital transport.
JRiver Media Center 19 Music Software
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack

Showing 18 responses by jon2020

Fsmithjack,
Relax, just bring your Tellurium cable to your Bricasti dealer and see if it works with his demo unit. If it does, he can just replace your M1 with a new one and you should check that one before you leave the store. If it doesn't, connect the Tellurium to another brand of dac in the store and if that works, it will show that the cable is not the problem.
Fsmithjack,
This is very interesting. The PP upgrade was just released a week ago and though you seem impressed by it, you are going for the Bricasti M1 now. The Bricasti M1 has had great reviews but I am just curious - did you bring back a demo unit for audition in your home system before making that decision? Or is it that the PP firmware did not synergise well with your system? At other forums, those who don't like it have rolled back to the previous version.
The issue here is between the M1 and the T cable - is the issue specific to your unit or is it a general one? If it's specific to your unit, the problem is solved. If it's a general issue, you are out of luck and you just need to shop for a new usb cable.
Wisnon,
Wow, that is practically a who's who list of dac's. I wish I could audition the Lampi7 but no such luck where I live. When you have heard them all and settled on the Lampi7, it's got to be something very special. :)
Congrats on getting 2 new components all at once! The Bricasti is indeed special when I brought it home for audition in my system. That was some time back and with the many improvements since then, it would certainly be much better in its current iteration. Boy, do I love this forum. Now you can follow up through all the burn-in pains and gains.
Cheers! J.
Very happy for you, FSmithjack.
And if I am ever stricken with acute foot-in-mouth disease to say something silly like "The Bricasti separates the boys from the men", I know I will get some serious s@#* from all the diehard DS fans out there. And so, restrained, I shall remain.
Here's another review :-

https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/f11523ec-209f-4462-a057-ccbee428e8a1
Essentialaudio,
Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, won't be anywhere near the windy city come April. Will most certainly miss those great sunset views from the John Hancock when I was last there.
Cheers! J.
I would agree with Sabai that the Berkeley Ref Dac is indeed the one to beat at its price point (the Trinity being at a much loftier price) and is in a different league altogether compared to the M1. But at about half the price of the Berkeley, the M1 is very good value.
I was mesmerised by the Berkeley Ref just a couple of days ago when I dropped by my local store and there was this gentleman playing his own cd's of Oscar Peterson and Nat King Cole that had both of us riveted to our seats. There was the added bonus of D'Agostino's Momentum pre- and power amps hooked up at the same time and the experience was truly sublime.
At 4k, this new baby from Cary Audio sounds like very good value indeed. And it has tubes.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/cary-audio-introduces-dac-200ts/
Sabai,
Cool! I had a hunch but I wanted to draw you in with my post to see if I get a confirmation from you.
Cheers! J.
Sabai,
It was a pleasure for me too. Your speaker tweak sounds interesting. Just let me know when you will be in Singapore again.
Cheers! J.
Fsmithjack,

Since you already have a top-notch DAC in the Bricasti M1, getting the BDP-1USB would save you a bundle. From the review that follows, USB thumbdrive seems to give better SQ than NAS.

http://www.bryston.com/PDF/reviews/2015_03_Review_BDP1_USB.pdf
Fsmithjack,
This may just be what you are looking for :-

http://www.bryston.com/products/digital_audio/BDP-1USB.html
If I understand it correctly, what the BDP-1USB does is to allow you to plug a usb thumbdrive or solid state/hard disk drive directly into it without the need for a pc. You can of course still use your pc with JRiver. The other function is to connect it by Ethernet LAN cable to your router/NAS and to the Bricasti via usb. This seems to give the best possible SQ.
When I brought the M1 home for audition, I placed it on these footers from Harmonix by Combak, the RF 900 series :-

http://www.combak.net/feet&bases/FEET_and_BASES.html

http://www.combak.net/ (review here)

They make a world of difference. I use the same for my speakers.

J.