Bricasti M1 DAC vs PS Audio Direct Stream DAC

I own a PS Audio Direct Stream DAC that I like a lot but heard my friends system with the Bricasti M1 and I am strongly thinking of changing my DAC and would love your feedback from other members that have heard either or both. I know they are both great but really thinking of changing my Dac from PS Audio Direct Stream to the Bricasti M1 DAC. I use a HP Desk top computer as source with Jplay and JRiver Media 19 and the outstanding Tellurium Q BLACK DIAMOND Reference USB Cable. The rest of my system is below. I listen to Classic Rock, jazz, vocal, some modern music and the usual audiophile stuff.

Thanks

My system for reference.

Ascendo C-8 Renaissance Speakers (Germany) Monitor
Purist Audio Design Corvus Praesto Revision 2.5m Bi-Wire Speaker cable
Cardas Clear Interconnect 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Darwin TRUTH Pure Silver Reference 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Darwin TRUTH Pure Silver Reference 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Audio Research REFERENCE 1 w/Rhodium IEC/NOS Tubes Tube preamp
Decware ZSTAGE External Triode Output StageTelefunken ECC801S
PS Audio Direct Stream DSD DAC w/ Bridge DA converter
Tellurium Q BLACK DIAMOND Reference USB Cable
PS Audio PerfectWave PowerBase Vibration Cancelation/AC Condtioner
Conrad Johnson Premier 12 Mono's 140 Watts Tung-Sol KT120's amps
PS Audio PowerPlant Premier AC Regenerator
BMI Shark Pure Jeweler Grade Platinum AC Power Cable
Sablon Audio Petite Corona 2.0M AC Power Cable
Mad Scientist PC-NEO with Power Purifier AC Power Cable
JPS Labs The Power AC+ 2M AC Power Cable
Synergistic Research Labs Tesla Series SE T1 AC Power Cable
Synergistic Research Labs Tesla Series T1 AC Power Cable
PS Audio Noise Harvester (5) Converts noise to light
OYAIDE RI Beryllium Power Outlets (2)
Hubbell Outlet 5362/5262 Deep Cryo Process
Blue Circle Audio The Yalu Balula Industrial Surge/Spike Protection
JPLAY v5.2 hi-end audio player turns PC into a digital transport.
JRiver Media Center 19 Music Software
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack

Showing 24 responses by aolmrd1241

Coli...So which is it? Are you blaming the DS for the poor quality of sound or is it the recordings used in your evaluations? Two wrongs don't make a right...
The PSA DS dac does not start to bloom into a music machine until a minimum of three to four hundred hours. I now have around 550 hours on mine and it still amazes me as to how much more I am hearing from this dac. The pike peak OS is a stunning update,and must be considered mandatory to realize the full potential along with substantial break in time. It would be a big mistake to not give this dac time to open up. The reward for persistence will be large....
"03-02-15: Sabai
Aolmrd1241,

Pike's Peak is not as good as 1.2.1 in my system. Perhaps future versions will produce a better result for me."

Hi Sabai. I am sure you are aware some other people feel the same as you. Just give a read on the PSA forums concerning this dac.

Everything about this hobby we all love so much is based on system configuration and personal taste . I for one also like what 1.2.1 firmware does,but for me,and my tastes,in my system, the PP is a much better choice.One thing for certain,its nice to have a choice in what works best for you.

I'm sure Ted Smith has a lot more up his sleeve,hang in there..

I see PS Audio has a... buy a Direct Stream and get the Power Wave Transport for free. Now ,I'm not knocking the product or company... they make some very nice equipment,if not, I would not have purchased the DS and PWT. That being said,I have a hard time understanding why PSA would undermine their reputation by giving away product.

Do they make such cheap stuff that it has to be given away???

For people that pay retail or close to retail for PSA goods, it seems to me,at least,to be a slap in the face to those who ponied up and then after some time the price just falls flat on its face. I now see why the resale on PSA product is so horrible,if the company gives away their stuff then those who try to resale are looking to unload undermined boat anchors . What other high-end audio company goes to the extreme that PSA does? Come on PSA,your killing your loyal customer base...

If the retail value is to high from the get go,why not price it accordingly? I don't know,maybe I'm having a bad hair day... but this BOGO has me feeling a bit like... my loyalty to a company... with my wallet... has been violated...

ymmv...carry on
My main reason to state my displeasure with PSA was not the quality of sound,but with their pricing scheme. My digital playback before the DS/PWT combo was a Wadia 861se with the GNSC Statement upgrade by the venerable Steve Huntley.. I loved the Wadia and kept it in house for 9 years before moving on to the DS/PWT combo.

The reason for moving on from the Wadia was simple...The PSA sound quality just plain crushed the mighty Wadia. The full up Wadia retailed for $13,500 vs the PSA retail of $10,000. I do not fall into the more money is better debate. What does get my goat is pricing that falls like a lead balloon when the manufacture wants to move a few more units for his bottom line,which in turn... causes animosity amongst the customer base.

They say a happy wife makes for a happy life[very-true]. I say a happy customer makes for a repeat buyer. Do it right or don't do it at all...
Hello Sabai. Glad to hear you are now enjoying the PP OS. Can you explain how a reinstall of PP can make such a drastic change when you were committed to 1.2.1? Do you think that your previous try's were corrupted in some way? Thanks...
Agisthos, With a statement like that I would almost be certain you have never listened to a DS with PP OS.

I have owned Wadia,Electrocompaniet and EAD digital playback and listened to countless others,the PSA DS was and is way above any of them in sound quality. Although I have not heard the Bricasti M1...I'm sure it is a great sounding dac. If you get a chance go give a DS a in depth listen,I think you will be pleasantly surprised...
04-03-15: Fsmithjack

"I am looking to improve upon these and get a much more neutral, powerful, resolving, dynamic and transparent amp that still posses that tube dimensional and layered realness sound with humanity and soul to the music. Tough act to pull of without tubes but my thought is this will get the most out of my M1!"

Fsmithjack. I found exactly that in my Merrill Audio Veritas class d monoblock amps. These things rock big time in all of the areas you mentioned. Do some research on them,you can thank me later...8)

Yale final is killer. It takes the DS to the next level. Much more natural sound...micro and macro dynamics are the best yet. Inner detailing is beyond reproach.Smoother treble but still lots of detail. The best thing is Ted Smith still has lots of magic left in his bag.
" my system blows away $50k audio show systems"

When I see ...blows away...it gives me reason to doubt. Most rooms in show conditions are not ideal to start with so you stating that your system is better vs. $50,000 in kit seems unlikely... Go listen to some of that kit in a more real,properly set up room and then tells us the truth to your claim...
And some people think downloading/uploading a sd card for firmware updates on the DS is a hassle.....
Ejr1953,thanks for the reply. It was a tongue in cheek dig after reading Hgeifman's post...
I have been using the PWT with my DS dac via a Platinum Starlight 7 hdmi cable and the combo is outstanding,especially now with Huron OS,which is a ’mandatory’ update. The PWT has served me faithfully and I have zero complaints or issues with it. People who upgraded are saying the new memory transport is even a bigger bump in sound quality yet. I see one in my future, as funds permit... Go to PS Audio website/forums/reviews and read the info that is presented to get a better feel for the two transports performance parameters in question.

Also,the DMP can do ’native dsd’ via sacd... for an even bigger uptick in sound quality if you use the DS dac with it... via hdmi connection.
New OS firmware update for DS dac called Redcloud to be released on 12/8/17. Supposedly its killer...
fsmithjack... In a word...Superb !!!

This dac now ’delivers’ the goods. The last OS, Huron, was a very,very fine listening experience that to me,was a great all around musically performing update.So when I heard Ted was working on Redcloud I thought...I hope he doesn’t make for a less enjoyable sound than Huron because Huron was really that good,a keeper.. if you will.

Well,long story short...Ted hit this one out of the park, and I can honestly say this DS dac now officially has put on the ’big boy pants’ and can compete with dacs way,way above its price point... I can’t seem to turn my system off now with Redcloud at center stage.That in.. and of itself..speaks volumes of how good this dac really is now. Just awesome!!!
rdoc... If you still spin cd/sacd the DMP is just the ticket in an over the top listening experience. I was a bit hesitant to give up my PWT for the DMP, seeing the PWT was a fantastic transport to begin with. The DMP/ DS dac, together now with Redcloud installed, make for one hell of a music making machine. A 'peanut butter and jelly' combo..if there ever was one !!! 

Redbook sounds almost as good as high res.. and sacd..now without handshake  restrictions from Sony...make sacd sound better than one could imagine. Great time to be a audiophile...   

charles1dad... So it seems that you find the PS Audio DMP a further advancement of the terrific PWT?
Hello Charles. Yes I do. I think for me, the DMP [with a great recording] can make the musical fabric of that recording to become much more realistic in nature. The soundscape has much more focus... meaning the DMP is able to let the air,natural details, and tones do a better job of pulling off the illusion of live sound as opposed to canned. To my ears, the whole presentation of the music is much more natural/organic sounding with a sense of timing almost like a live performance,music just seems to gel much,much better. Needless to say, I feel the DMP is a huge step up in my system...

There will be a new DS dac firmware update out very soon and according to PS Audio's Paul McGowan... "without a question the most significant code Ted’s ever written. It’s a new ballgame."  Bring it on...
Fsmithjack...PS Audio uses the Colorado fourteeners to name the updates after...
Quotes from Paul McGowan on the soon to be released Snowmass OS update for the DS dac.

"Getting close. Listening to Red Cloud in comparison there’s just no contest. I am shocked at how two dimensional Red Cloud now sounds compared to Snowmass. They are not even in the same league, which is crazy because Red Cloud was a HUGE improvement over whatever the mountain before it was."  

"Tonality has changed quite a lot as well as the upper reaches of the frequency range. This release definitely sounds as if it is going higher in bandwidth, and tonally, it’s fuller and instruments more rounded with greater body. The blackness levels are dramatically better too."