Breaking in a new cartridge,..Denon DL 103 R.

Just installed a R today in replacement of the 103 regular.
What is the breaking period time on that cartridge and which aspects of it's early stage sound should be expected to improved once it's '' done it's time ''.
Thanks
pboutin

Showing 3 responses by dan_ed

Thanks for the link, Jhendrixfan. I believe I saw a familiar face or two in the photos. Are you trying to kick up old dust around active vs. passive MC gain? :) I'm currently in the active camp as I believe that step-ups cannot avoid a level of filtering of the LOMC signal and thus hinder some of the micro-dynamic information. Just my .02. What currently available step-ups do you prefer and with what cartridges?

Best,

Dan
"I really have not noticed any "filtering" effect of the micro-dynamic information by using step-up transformers but perhaps you are speaking more of the readily available commercial versions."

Tom, you would be completely correct in my case. Do you have an opinion on the MU step-ups? I love my Alaap MC FET but I also love to tinker!

Best,

Dan
Tweaky? Not sure what you mean, I haven't tweaked anything on the Alaap and the custom features I went with were just simpler volume controls and a range of phono input loads. I thought we were talking about stuff that was not so generic, but you mention "not for the average bear". I'm not pokin' any sticks but I'm a bit confused. Then again, I don't remember all of the options Nick offers. :)

The MU interests me because of the flexibility of loading. I don't understand from experience how resistive loading is a compromise.

Yep, I use my triplanar. I'm not inclined to wait 1 1/2 to 2 years for a schroeder. And that's no slam on Frank, he makes a fabulous tonearm. It is more a realization that a one man assembly line has multiple points of failure.

Best,

Dan