Bose 901 VI flat?

I purchased a pair of Bose 901 VI speakers recently and a new Sony STRDH190 receiver.  I have wanted these speakers for years and finally got them.  Problem is, they sound flat and weaker than expected.  I adjusted the bass and treble to my liking but that only helped a little.  I have the Bose EQ that came with the speakers but i'm not using it due to new receiver technology.  Am i doing something wrong? I know these are great speakers with a great history.  

jonicurn

Showing 2 responses by jrpnde

Everyone stressing the importance of using the Bose dedicated EQ is right on. I bought a used pair years ago which came with the EQ. Since I already had a very good 10 band EQ I thought it would be better than the Bose. Like you say...They sounded "flat".

I also read that the speaker foam surrounds deteriorate with age and, upon removing the grills, found that was the case. Bought a kit and replaced the surrounds. Still no improvement. For the heck of it I hooked up the Bose EQ. Sound was much better but still "flat". The speakers just don't match up to a lot of others for much less that the cost of the 901's.

All responses to use the dedicated Bose EQ are primary. Also, to incorporate the EQ into the existing electronics is the first step. Since these speakers aren't capable of critical music listening to average ears, everyone has their own priority as to what they want.

Had a friend who had a very large house and entertained often. Had a large room that he used for entertaining guests at parties and such. In that room he had a pair of 901s suspended from the ceiling with chains. Purpose was to provide background music for his guests. Worked well for that. Of course he had his serious system elsewhere.

All this stuff is complex and the end game is what suits the user. Some like  what they have and others always want to constantly improve  theirs no matter how good it already is. Kinda like a hobby.