Bookshelf Speakers For 350 Or Less?? new & used

Hi,

A female friend asked me to recommend some bookshelf speakers for $350 or less, but I'm not too familiar with many of those models (I've heard the Mission 731i at $200-ish, but not much else). Which used or new (perhaps manufacturer direct?) models would you folks recommend in that price range?

Her receiver / CD combo is Sony / JVC mass market stuff. She listens to a lot of classical and some acoustic-based rock/pop. Most of her listening is probably background while she's cooking or roaming the house, but she is a musician and she does *listen*.

Any info would be appreciated, including recommendations that cost less than $350.

Thanks,

Phil
phild
Not sure of the price but the Bronze line from Monitor Audio should fall somewhere in your budget range. I just replaced a pair of JM Labs Tantal 505 with the MA Bronze 2 and there was a nice swing upwards in definition and low end reproduction - somewhat typical of the "polite" British sound which may very well mate nicely with the lower priced solid state sound of the Sony/JVC gear. Dual front ports and nicely finished in cherry although I prefer the fit and finish (rosewood) of the Tantals. The Tantals have been replaced by the Chorus line which you should also look at.
B&W LM-1 (I beleive the model is abreviated for Leisure Monitor)...nice speaks for $350 or less!!!
I live in an apt. so I needed speakers that wouldn't disturb the neighbors, take up much room, or sound small. I listened, auditioned, to all the big name lil giants from Proac, B&W, NHT...and none of them could render the music as well as the Mission 733i's. Spend more if you must, but hey some of us got it like that!