Bookshelf Speakers For 350 Or Less?? new & used

Hi,

A female friend asked me to recommend some bookshelf speakers for $350 or less, but I'm not too familiar with many of those models (I've heard the Mission 731i at $200-ish, but not much else). Which used or new (perhaps manufacturer direct?) models would you folks recommend in that price range?

Her receiver / CD combo is Sony / JVC mass market stuff. She listens to a lot of classical and some acoustic-based rock/pop. Most of her listening is probably background while she's cooking or roaming the house, but she is a musician and she does *listen*.

Any info would be appreciated, including recommendations that cost less than $350.

Thanks,

Phil
phild
If you just have to slap the plastic and won't do diy, sound and vision did a blindfolded face-off a few issues back of 5 $350 bookshelf designs and gave a Monitor Audio design 1st place. There was the NHT SB1 or something like that and they hated it. There was also an Acoustic Energy AE1 or something that got a close second. But that's all new, if you buy used....? I don't normally read magazines but somehow or another I got a free subscription to the magazine--it just started showing up one day?
If it's for a female ;-), I'd try to keep it around $100/pr.

Wharfedale Diamond Anniversary 7.2
BIC Venturi 6.2
Sound Dynamics RTS-3
Older Polk 5jr or 7 (one here on audiogon)

Try ubid.com for the wharfdales <$100 but watch out for the shipping charges.

Good luck.
Check out the reviews for Ascend Acoustics on audioreview.com: 5/5. They are inexpensive and
have a small footprint.
Thanks for all of your suggestions. Please keep them coming. I couldn't find many threads that focused on this price range. ANy experiences with PSB, Paradigm, or Axiom? I've read great things about the Axiom MT3i(?) for $275 from www.axiomaudio.com.