Bluesound Node 2i vs Upscale streamers

For those of you that have compared the Node 2/2i to some of the more expensive streamers like Lumin, Aurender, etc., what do the big boys bring to the table. Forget the internal DACs, I'm sure theirs beats the Node. I'm talking about using these devices as stand alone streamers into an outboard DAC. What are the differences you've heard?

Oz

128x128ozzy62

Showing 1 response by todd972

I am not sure what I truly believe to be reasonable with this entire issue.  I am a network engineer and deal with signal path constantly.  If data is truly digital it is a stream of zeros and ones.  Noise should not be an issue as once you are in the digital domain it would not be a part of the binary stream.  

I do agree that a clocking issue could introduce some significant difficulties for the DAC, although this too could be overcome with enough buffer to allow for time correction.

I have a Node 2i being used only as a steamer and the decoding be actioned by a DA2 in a McIntosh C2700 preamp.  I compared this to a well recorded vinyl selection and found the digital stream sounded somewhat mechanical…or had a lack of “warmth”.  I realize these are subjective descriptions, but I’m not sure how else to describe it.

While I believe the above all to be correct, I am always skeptical of my own need to justify the next purchase I want to make.  Add that to a salesman who might be willing to spout a never ending steam of technical nonsense to reinforce my decision to purchase and (I think) you wind up where we all are.  Searching for facts in a subjective world.

I do however seek anyones advice on how to achieve the warmth and sonic quality of vinyl thru a digital stream…I’m lazy, vinyl is hard to find and gets very expensive…

thoughts?