Blue Note Jazz Recordings

Category: Music

Check out the RVG Collector Series from Blue Note. The RVG stands for the legendary recording engineer from Blue Note whos name is Rudy Van Gelder.

I have just picked up Midnight Blue by Kenny Burrell. Just a fabulous remaster of a great classic. The RVG Collection from Blue Note is worthy of every Jazz Library out there.

What RVG has been able to do with these old tapes and put them to 24 bit CDs is remarkable. There are now several offerings under the RVG logo and if the rest are anything like Midnight Blue, they must be special indeed. I know I will be looking for additional RVG titles for my Jazz Library.

Heres the link to Blue Note.

http://www.bluenote.com/

When it comes to jazz, it just doesn't get much better than Blue Note.
ferrari
Well this Saturday yielded another RVG Blue Note edition. This is "Sidewinder" by Lee Morgan. Once again just another fabulous job done by RVG. With Lee on this is Joe Henderson,Barry Harris,Bob Cranshaw and Billy Higgins. Six great selections. Originally recorded December 21,1963 at the Rudy Van Gelder Studio and remastered in 1998 by RVG into 24 bit CD format.

This was Lee Morgan coming out album after his recovery from addiction. Title track went straight to the Billboard charts at the time and was a big commercial hit. This album firmly re-established Lee Morgan as a force in the jazz scene. Totally recommended for any Jazz library and not to be missed - just excellent.

I fully realize that I could buy the entire RVG editions on line and be done with it. However I enjoy visiting the small Mom & Pop record stores and buying from them. They are truly the back bone of the music business. Plus the hunt for these RVG editions make it just that more enjoyable for me.

There has been some sharp criticism on these RVG editions, mostly from purist I suppose. From the additional bonus tracks on these as well as cover art and liner notes, etc.

Personally, I find this somewhat trite on their part. I for one appreciate what RVG has done and continues to do with these remasters. The price is more than right at about $11.99 a copy or less. The sound is spectacular by any standard one will judge. Last and far from least is the saving of this great material to a format that will not decay like lacquer,vinyl, and tape. With his diligence this music will live forever. These additions are historic in their nature and is a true reference to American Jazz.
Was in a Borders Book & Music store yesterday March 1,2005.While browsing noticed in their music dept.,they have a great deal right now buy 3 CDs and get the 4th free.Also noticed they had a great selection of the RVG Blue Note editions at 11.99 each. However this offer applies to all CDs in stock regardless of price, buy 3 get the 4th free. One helluva deal. So check the local Borders Book & Music stores in your area, great way to save and get the music you want.
Islandear - Thanks for the heads up on Red Trumpet. Have bookmarked this for future use. The link is below

http://www.redtrumpet.com/index.php3?sid=1128770810

Will have to give them a try.

Great Blue Note section on this site.
I have purchase several of these RVG editions and think they are fantastic. Music Direct (amusicdirect.com) has recently offerred some nice deals of packages of 5 and 6 of these.