Blu Ray from the HTPC

Just curious as to who has jumped on board with the Blu Ray CD ROM drives. Just started using mine today. The picture quality is terrific! If your PC video card is HDCP compatible ..this could be the cheapest way to get into Blu Ray with very little cost. $150 and your ready to watch true Hi Def!
gmood1

Showing 8 responses by ig316b

Which Blu-Ray CD ROM are you using? I've been researching this myself, wasn't sure which one to use or wait for BenQ to release theirs in Sept, if thats still going to happen.
I want to think you gentlemen for the inputs here. I had just purchased a Dell XPS 410 and was looking to turn it into a HTPC when I found this thread. Any way I've added the LG with Blu-Ray and Hd-DVD ROM along with the Sapphire HD4850 1G and MSI Theater Pro 650 and everything is working perfectly. I love the picture I'm getting with this, I knew the Dell 2407 had a nice picture but WOW. Has anyone tried the room correction feature available with Windows Vista? I'm currently using the on board sound card connected to two McCormack MLD for volume control and three Micro Power Drives driving NHT Super Zero's and SW2 Sub in a small computer room. Anybody know when the Asus Xonar HDMA 1.3 Deluxe will be releasing here in the USA? I figure with its upgradable op-amp I should have a great almost all in one system.
Gmood1 Thank you for the comments,

One of the reasons I went with the McCormack Mico Line Drive is because it's a passive preamp and I wasn't sure how Microsoft implemented their volume control, didn't know if they reduced bits to lower the volume if you know what I mean. Anyway this started out as a two channel system which I use a Micro Integrated Drive to power the NHT Super Zero's for the computer sound and my Grado RS-1 headphones. Then I came across a Micro Line Drive and a Power Drive and everything just started to evolve from there. I was thinking of using one of the small Denon receiver's with the Audyssey room correction when I found this thread and I'm starting to change my mind. I like the thought of being able to upgrade the op-amps to improve the sound. Plus if I wanted to use the Denon that decodes the new surround formats I would need the Asus card anyway for the HDMA 1.3 transfer. Well I have a couple months to work this idea up.

What software are you using to play your Blu-Ray's with I'm on the fence about which to use Power DVD Ultra or wait for the one that comes with the Asus I think is ArcSoft?

And yes this might well wind up in my listening/living room if it all pans out the way I'm visioning in my head but I'll have to get it right here in my computer/toy room first. I'm currently on the fence also as to wheather to go with a projection system or a large flat screen, still researching. Any inputs.

Robert
Gentlemen sorry for the late reply been pretty busy. If everything works with the Asus card my plans are to move up to a Dell 420 with the cable cards installed and convert it to my HTPC and run my living with it.

Gmood1
Sounds like we are on the same wave length with the projection system. My thoughts are to hide the flat screen in the wall and have a movable picture to cover it up, then have the large screen descend from the ceiling or something along that line.

Tab110s
I use a Dell 2407 and it works good for my small computer room. I would recommend at least a 30" monitor if your doing a small home theater with blu-ray. As much as I love all the real estate on my 24" monitor when using it as a computer monitor it gets small when watching blu-ray disks. Plus if I'm not mistaken the 30" Dell comes with two DVI connection points (not you will need to check).
Gmood1
There is a thread over on AVS Forum about the Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 Deluxe

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1065232

Lots of good information coming out on it.
Gmood1
Your welcome, and yes I almost bought that one from Newegg. The only thing that stopped me was finding this thread and reading about the Asus card. Lots of good reviews on Newegg about the Auzen, the only bad thing is it dosen't decode Dolby True Hd and DTS Master Audio, that's one of the reasons I'm waiting for the Asus. I see Asus is finally putting the Deluxe up on their web site. Hope its not too much longer before this comes out.

I see from a earlier post your from down in Georgia? I'm from down around those parts myself. Morrow, Ga to be exact, just outside of Atlanta. Living in New Jersey right now though.
Gmood1
Sent you a personal email about the Asus Xonar HDAV. After reading this, my XPS410 will be going in the main system to try it out. It's loaded with a lot of extra good stuff to test your system with.
Gmood1
Check this out "Room Correction in Vista". This along with the Asus HDAV 1.3 and it should take your HTPC to a whole new level .

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/articles/450038.aspx

Glade you enjoyed the Owners Manual.