Bladelius-Thor mk3/Leema-Tucana 2/Norma IPA-140?

Currently have a Valve Audio Predator which has exceeded my expectations but eventually want to seek a more refined amplifier. Three "relatively" affordable European made integrated amps have garnered my interest. They all have excellent build/parts quality in addition to positive reviews. I have not heard any of these amps but did have a short demo with the first generation Leema Pulse and was impressed with its PRAT and openness despite having such a modest power rating. I can only assume the Tucana 2 is much superior. I know speaker synergy will determine which amp is best(for me) but would appreciate any comments/opinions from anyone has heard these integrated amps.
dayglow

Showing 3 responses by georgehifi

There are a lot of well wishers on this forum, that say this amp that amp is the best, without any regard to what kind of load the amp is seeing from the speaker.

Ok, you need to look at graphs of both these speakers, impedance vs negative phase angle, which can half the impedance load again if at or below -35 degrees phase angle, even though it's not shown with just the impedance graph itself.

Focus FS8 (bottom of page)http://www.soundstage.com/measurements/speakers/focus_fs8/

ATC SMC40 http://www.avmentor.net/reviews/lab/2014/atc_scm40/display/atc_scm40_impedance.jpg

Both speakers have a hard load the Focus is hardest of the two.

Both speakers need an amp that can do current well, of the three you mention I would go for the Leema Tucana as it's the only one that gives 2ohm wattage specs, the other don't which tells me their hiding something.

As the Leema can do
Output Power: 150W rms 8 Ohms/Ch

Output Power: 290W rms 4 Ohms/Ch

Output Power: 520W rms 2 Ohms/Ch

which means it has good current drive.

Cheers George

It's would be very much in the others best interest to show the 2ohm figure, if it is a good spec, and almost doubles from 4.

The only reason I can think of not showing a 2ohm spec for any expensive SS amp, would be, either it is Mosfet output or Class D. Both these give poor 2ohm specs when put up against their 8 and 4 ohm specs.

Cheers George
Speakers? they are to drive into is what needs to be looked at first?
So then we can see what kind of load the amps will see and what will suit them?

Cheers George