Biwire questions - Best cable for

New pair of B&W Nautilus 804. Krell KAV 250a and Lexicon DC-2 pre. Suggestions for biwire speaker cable for about $300? I need 20ft cables (or slightly longer). If I need to spend more, I will, but I'd like to spend no more than 3-400 bucks. Thanks all! Appreciate your help!
bazmataz

Showing 5 responses by megasam

Most "experts" say bi-wire is better sound, and if your speaker Manf. went through the extra effort and cost to provide this cabability you should take advantage. Bi-wiring reduces distortion in mids and treble, for detailed explanation why go to various cable manf sites such as, http://www.audioquest.com/company/faq.html Jumpers can be an improvement over cheap connector bars that come with speakers for single wire use, but do not offer the physical seperation that bi-wire does. Almost all quality cables are offered with optional internal bi-wire or you can always use double runs. I might mention that some high end speakers don't offer biwire option like Dynaudio, preferring more elaborate crossover designs, but most speakers provide biwire feature.
Trelja again has words of wisdom, I forgot my cable recommendation at this price for new cable would be Analysis Plus Oval 12 or try shorter cables and got to AP Oval 9. For used the AQ indigo/midnight/forest lines are good and readily available on Audiogon, I slightly prefer to Kimber TC series, and have owned both, Sam
TM you ask good questions, with single cable obviuosly all freq are present in cable going to speaker, but the bass freq have much more energy than mid & treble and can cause distortion in these delicate areas. When speaker is designed as biwire with bass posts and treble posts your amp sees a much higher impedance at treble posts, and only mid & treble will travel on this speaker cable. All freq will travel on cable to bass posts, but the treble & mid do not have enough energy to distort bass signal. So you should have cleaner treble & mid because there is no distortion from much more powerful bass signal using same cable......
Snook, may I direct to Vanderstein Speaker site where they have in depth explanation of their experiments with bi-wire and why it improves sound in speakers designed for bi-wire use: http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/Answr7.htm This is very in depth article, and expands on comments by myself and Bob.....Sam
Fam, with all due respect, if Paul Barton of PBS thought sound was better with single wire, he would save money on extra terminals and internal crossover and design his flagship speaker, Stratus Gold-i with single terminals. BTW, I think you just voided the warranty on your Gold-i. I would be interested if you would e-mail Paul at PSB to get his opinion on your modifacation.....