Biggest impact: moving from integrated to separates

I am slowly moving to separates from my Cronus Magnum integrated amp. So far, I’ve upgraded the Phono stage to a Pass Labs XP-15. I’m now looking for the next upgrade. I will need an amp and a line stage preamp. My budget is @ $3K and I am looking for the biggest bang for the buck. Which upgrade should come next? I would like anything I upgrade to have balanced connections (for linestage both ins and outs.)

thanks
asp307

Showing 17 responses by asp307

@keithtexas thanks, I like my speakers (ZU Soul MK2) which are 99db efficient.
@twoleftears I would hope that an RP5 and Stereo 100 could best the CMII or why produce them? What would the value prop be if a separate $3,500 preamp cannot best a $2,200 integrated of the same brand?

I have not heard the RP5 however, I have heard the RP7 which was unreal, but the source was a Dave DAC and it was playing through Focal Kantas...so what was I really hearing? Who knows..
@helomech @mesch Thanks for your replies. I am looking for separates with balanced connections which the CM does not have. My listed budget of $3K does not mean that I think this is what it will take to best the CM, it's really just my budget.

When I have spoken with Rogue previously, I asked what the built-in phono pre would be on par with price wise. They said it's on par with a $400 phono pre. My upgrade to a Pass Labs XP-15 was transformative, albeit, at a much higher price point ($2,400.) As I peel away what I am using the CM for into separates, I am looking to achieve this type of transformative performance.

I should also clarify, my budget of $3K is for either a line stage preamp OR an amp, not both. 

@nitewulf sounds like a plan, the Gryphon equipment looks impressive. Why the consolidation?
@robd2 I have $3k for my next upgrade. Thanks.

@nycjlee thanks for your feedback. I have the CM1 not 2. It’s a great piece and I’ve used it extensively for the past 4 years, however, I’d like to move to the next phase of this journey. I’ve been looking at the Pass Labs XP10 for instance as I am very impressed with my XP15. Just looking for thoughts/feedback from others who may have gotten out of integrateds for separates. Thanks.
@twoleftears and that is important to consider, the law of diminishing returns. I am not going to obsess over a perceived 5% gain in benefits for 3 or 4 times the spend of the CM1. But if there is something out there that I should consider that will make a large impact, at my budget, than I would like to explore.
@robd2h , thanks. I am fine with used or new. Perks of new would be a forgiving return policy in most cases. Perks of used would be buying up a few levels at my budgeted price. 
@robd2 thanks, I am not looking to upgrade both amp and line stage at this point, just one or the other with the next upgrade probably occurring next year. I can continue using the Cronus Magnum either as a line stage or amp so I have flexibility. 

I am choosing to build around the Pass Labs XP15 phono preamp as I am very pleased with it. 

I'll list my current set-up below for future reference. In terms of what I am trying to achieve, I guess you can say more of everything that I love about my current set-up. Lower noise floor, wider sound stage, strong detailed bass, etc. My speakers excel in the mid-range area so further attention to this area may be moot but again open to suggestions. 

VPI Scout 1.1 TT
Lyra Delos MC
Pass Labs XP-15 phono pre
Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum (version 1 with KT120 tubes)
ZU Audio Soul MKII (99 db)
ZU Audio Mission MKII phono, interconnect and speaker cables
ZU Audio Event MKI power cables

thanks 
@robd2 thanks for this. I would love a Pass Labs XP12 however even at the intro price of $5K it's more than I want to spend. If I go the Pass route, it may be the XP10 at half the price. 

Regarding McIntosh, I've looked at the C47, however, is McIntosh the same as it used to be before the buyouts? You are not the first to mention Ayre...I'll dig a little further into that. 

My challenge in Pittsburgh is that there is one decent hifi shop but like many they only carry so many brands. 

I really appreciate your feedback and I do agree about system specifics, etc. For me, I do not listen to any of this feedback as gospel because of all of the variation and personal preference one needs to consider, however, I gain insight into different brands that I may not be familiar with, and I can see what's trending (similar to your comment on Ayre which I have seen plenty of in the forums.)

I'll keep you posted on how I get on. 
@almarg , very good points that I have not considered. I guess as I assumed I can use my XP-15 Phono pre, that I would be able to do this with other separates (line and amp) and ween myself off of my CM. This has given me pause and I’ll need to do some more homework. 

@trelja @mesch @missioncoonery @keithtexas @twoleftears @robd2 thanks for your feedback and I’ll keep you posted on how I get on..
Hi @almarg , just spoke with Rogue Audio. I figured I'd follow up.

Here's what they say:

"You can use the version 1 Cronus just as an amplifier. The way to do this is to connect the outputs of your preamplifier to the variable output of the Cronus. I know this sounds wrong connecting an output to another output, but doing this will bypass the front end of the Cronus and feed the signal straight to the amplifier portion of the Cronus."

Cheers
@almarg great thanks! I'll follow up with Rogue on the points raised. I currently have the CM in the Aux 1 input as I am using an external phono pre. 
@almarg thanks, any rule of thumb for best matching on 100K? I know you said it should match anything reasonable. I’ve seen different ratios offered in other threads..thanks.
So I am going to focus on a preamp with balanced ins/outs up to $5,500. Yes I’ve increased the budget and I’ll start a new thread to gain recommendations. Thanks all for your feedback.