Best Way to Spend ~ $2000 for System Improvement

Hi fellow music lovers! I have about $2000 right now to improve my system. It can be for any component, but I'm thinking amplification first, power, pre, or integrated. SS or tube.

To begin, right now I have a Mccormack 0.5 Deluxe power amp with "A" revisions, an Eva 2 passive preamp, Metrum Octave v1 DAC, Dell laptop for music files. Sometimes I use a Teac H750 as a transport and GMA Pico Executive speakers. The room is small, about 14x18x10ft. I listen to about 50/50 rock and classical, mostly full orchestral. As far as just sound goes, I would like the bass to be "fast". No delay or overhang, not exaggerated, but detailed. Detail is important at any frequency, the more the better, but not at the expense of musicality. I realize at this price point, compromise is necessary, and treble would be the best place for that. No harshness allowed, but I'm in my later 50s now and don't hear treble like I once did.

I hope I've given enough info to get some good suggestions. I like the sound now, but think it could be better, maybe a slightly lower noise floor and a little more pace and rhythm while retaining it's sweetness and smoothness. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. BTW, if any existing question answers any part of this question, feel free to link it.
xrayz

Showing 3 responses by asp307

It’s been mentioned already but address your power situation. I just did this and while the wall receptacles are still burning-in, I have noticed dramatic differences already most notably a lowered noise floor, clear and dynamic sound, more air around the instruments, deeper and more detailed bass, etc.

My electrician added a dedicated 20A breaker to the circuit box and ran Southwire (Romex) 10-2AWG wire (keeping the run as isolated as possible) to a junction box and into two Furutech GTX-D (Rhodium) outlets.

Got the outlets on Ebay by way of Hifi Heaven in Wisconsin for $180 each. Electrician’s time at $395.

Big improvements for under $800.

You will not know the full capabilities of what you have until you address your power.
@xrayz @lowrider57 provided good advice however, I am trying to understand what a dedicated 20A line, 10-2AWG wire and Furutech GTX-D Rhodium outlets mean to my system. Thus, I am still using the stock 15A power cables that came with my Rogue Cronus Magnum and VPI Scout 1.1.

If you do go the route of upgrading your wall outlets, keep in mind that different outlets will need different amounts of burn-in time. For the Furutechs, some have suggested a breakthrough at 500 hours and then again at 1000-1500 hours. 

When they were first installed, there was a sibilance and a gritty layer on top of what I could tell were serious improvements. As the listening hours pass, that layer is becoming less and less and the sound is improving.

I have been in the market for an external phono-pre as I am using the built in phono-pre on my integrated. Considering the improvements from the dedicated line and outlets do I really need to upgrade now to another phono-pre? No....however, I probably will because I am crazy and this is how I like to spend my discretionary time.   
@xrayz @lowrider57 this is good advice. I would suggest having the electrician keep the 20A breaker as far away from any breaker that powers a dimmer. Also, most of the wires come out of the top of my breaker box so the electrician put the dedicated breaker at the bottom and ran the Romex out of the bottom side of the breaker box. He then kept the run completely isolated and away from any other wires and cables. For this dedicated line, you will benefit by isolating the Romex as much as possible. Send me an email and I will reply with pictures step by step.