Best Used Integrated under $2000?.....$3000?

Any thoughts on the purchase of a newer used integrated amplifier at the $2000-$3000 price point? Need 70+ watts.
McIntosh, Naim, Sim Audio, Bryston, Valve Audio, PS Audio, Pathos, etc.....?

Please only answer if you have experience listening to many amps over the years. Thanks
128x128condocondor

Showing 1 response by ttowntony

As a dealer of a couple of the products you've mentioned. I prefer the Simaudio i-series (classic or evolution) over the likes of the Bryston and McIntosh. Both in their own right are good products, but I believe Simaudio is one of the finest products on the market today.

Specifically, which I know would be a stretch on your budget, the Simaudio Evolution i-7 is absolutely magical. When I directly compared it as well as the Classic series i5.3 to the Bryston B100-SST, they absolutely laid waste to the Bryston. We were actually able to clip the Bryston amp fairly quickly when mated with the Dynaudio Contour S1.4. The Sims had no problems and have a very balanced sound from end-to-end. The Bryston does have a good sound at low volumes, but it lacked dynamics and drive...I expected more from this product.

MacIntosh has been a staple product in the industry for many many many years, However, I don't think it's anything really special and to me it poses somewhat of a distraction with the front panel lights. That's being picky I know and this is just my opinion coming out. It has a pleasent sound, but I do feel it can be somewhat lifeless at times and sound flat.

PS Audio is a different sounding animal than all the others you've mentioned. You either like it or don't.

The Plinius 9200 is also a good option for you to consider.

In the end, I would be perfectly happy to live with the Simaudio's forever. I personally own the i-7 and the Dynaudio Confidence C1 monitors. I've cried many tears of joy listening to this combo. Try and audition for yourself if at all possible as our opinions are subjective and environment also plays a major role into the equation.