Best used amp for around 500

I'm am desperately trying to upgrade from a Denon AVR-3300 receiver. Looking for a stereo amp for the fronts. I'm entertaining the idea of a five channel amp, but I don't yet have DVD-Audio or SACD, and money is an issue. The receiver is fine for movies, but for music...well, it won't do. I'm currently running Acoustic Energy Aegis 3's for the fronts - silk dome tweets, pretty warm, laid back sound. Any suggestions?
dklap

Showing 1 response by pilar

Dklap, I'm also using a Denon receiver (AVR-3801) as a pre-amp for two channel music. I recently bought an Acurus A150 ($340 used here) to bypass the Denon's internal amps. I highly recommend doing this. The sound is much more dynamic and detailed. I also use an AudioPrism WaveGuide on the power cord to the receiver. This is a nice tweak in lieu of replacing the captive power cord. Highly recommended by a SoundStage reviewer for just this application.http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/audioprism_waveguide.htm.

The Audiogon member I bought the A150 from has another one for sale. If you're interested, email me and I can put you in touch with him. Whether you chose this amp or one of the others recommended here you won't be disappointed.