Best used amp for around 500

I'm am desperately trying to upgrade from a Denon AVR-3300 receiver. Looking for a stereo amp for the fronts. I'm entertaining the idea of a five channel amp, but I don't yet have DVD-Audio or SACD, and money is an issue. The receiver is fine for movies, but for music...well, it won't do. I'm currently running Acoustic Energy Aegis 3's for the fronts - silk dome tweets, pretty warm, laid back sound. Any suggestions?
dklap

Showing 3 responses by ehart

How about the Rotel RB-1070 or the model that it replaced (the RB-980, I think?)? 135WPC, very clean inside, with dual transformers. The discontinued model can be had (if you can find it) new for $400, probably $200 to $300 used.

I think you will find this amp a surprisingly good upgrade in sound at low cost -- moving to separates makes a big difference!

When you get rich, buy the system of your dreams, and this amp will be very respectable for a second system (or as I plan to do -- bridged mono for the rest of the house). Depending on your budget right now, it may be better to spend less rather than fooling yourself into thinking you are getting the ultimate piece, which you will replace later anyway.

I demoed this amp against more expensive units. I liked it better than any of the integrateds I heard, not as well as the more expensive amps -- but much better than any receivers. I'm waiting to replace it until I have, say, $2000 to spend on an amp.

- Eric
Dan,

The pre-amp portion of your system has as much, or more, effect on your overall sound as does the amp. This is why people are asking about whether you plan to use your receiver as a pre-amp -- your receiver will continue to be a limiting factor. You might want to see if you can borrow an amp somehow to test with, and buy it only if it really gives improved sound. Perhaps a store in your area that sells used or demo equipment?

- Eric
An integrated would make a lot of sense here -- you would most likely get better sound than using your receiver as a pre-amp into a separate amp, for not much more money. And you can be more confident about what it will sound like when you are done.

I have listened to both the AR Complete that Subaru mentions (nice sound, and the remote is very cool!), and liked it slightly better than the Arcam 75, which I listened to head-to-head (and which has a full-featured but complicated remote). I believe both list under $1200 new; I think my local dealer was selling the Complete for under $1000 new. I demoed these with ProAC speakers, but the same dealer sells AE speakers with these integrateds, and recommends them together.

In my case (inefficient speakers, large room), separates in the same price range (with the benefit of demo/closeout pricing) provided more power and better sound, but many here have reported very good luck with smaller rooms and efficient speakers.

Because you want to continue to use these speakers for Home Theatre also, I'm not sure if eliminating your receiver entirely is really an option? Or do you need to keep your receiver in the loop at least as a pre? Perhaps we are barking up the wrong tree here? Or perhaps there is a way to "wire it up" that someone else can offer?

- Eric