Best turntable under $4000

I am looking to take the next step in my analog journey. I currently am using a Fluance RT85 with ortofon 2m blue. I have a Rogue Audio cronus magnum iii. I am running them with Kef 104/2 's. Fluance seems to get alot of hate on here. I was considering a cartridge upgrade but I am hesitant to upgrade more then the cost of the table. I don't hear much background noise and like the sound. I guess I am wondering if I don't know I hear noise because I have not heard a turntable that eliminates that noise? When I went from my Onkyo to my Rogue Sphinx iii I realized I had been missing a whole lot of sound. Then I ditched my rebuilt EPI M150's and heard hidden instruments in tracks I have listened to for years. I am looking for that in a turntable upgrade.  Apperance is important. I have interest in the following:

Clear Audio Concept Wood w/ maestro v2

Mofi fender precisiondeck w/ mastertracker

Stretching my budget is:

Dr. Feikert Volare no cartridge

Gold Note Pianosa no cartridge

These take me out of my budget once I get a cartridge

Any other reccomendations 

I will miss the autostart function for those buzzed listening nights. I would like the 4k to include a cartridge. Any opinions are welcome. Anyone think I should say screw the "rules" and get an Ortofon black?

Thank you in advance

cpdkee

Showing 4 responses by goofyfoot

Acoustic Solid is similar to Transrotor but less expensive. You can buy one without the tonearm if you wanted to upgrade. Thomas Schick seems to be a fan of EMT turntables. Rega is a pretty safe option. 

@lewm the best turntable under $4,000.00, I never made such a claim but this Realistic isn’t the first table in it’s class to be mentioned here. I read the original post but the conversation has been meandering from page one. The Technics is the best table under $4,000.00, seriously? As far as I can tell, you were never appointed the ‘Director’ of this thread. Everyone has a vote but no one has a veto.

@lewm The best advice I could give to a newbie is to buy a belt driven transcription  type turntable. But even that comment would be met with disapproval. I’d also try educating that person on the various types of tonearms and how adding an after market tonearm to a good table with a stable motor can potentially reward the listener with a better rig. I’d also recommend potential buyers to visit their local dealers to find out what type of tables they offer. I believe the point is to plant a seed in the mind of newbies so they developed a curiosity and eventually understand the advantages and disadvantages regarding various design choices in both new and vintage turntables. I honestly think the best way to help on these forums is just to mention all of those things I mentioned above as they come to mind. There’s no way we can help someone completely, they are going to have to think for themselves. If someone looks at an $800.00 direct drive table and think it’s going to beat the flagship VPI in a listening test, then they just lack the brain power to make pragmatic choices and should have an appointed legal guardian to take care of their finances.