Best turntable under $4000

I am looking to take the next step in my analog journey. I currently am using a Fluance RT85 with ortofon 2m blue. I have a Rogue Audio cronus magnum iii. I am running them with Kef 104/2 's. Fluance seems to get alot of hate on here. I was considering a cartridge upgrade but I am hesitant to upgrade more then the cost of the table. I don't hear much background noise and like the sound. I guess I am wondering if I don't know I hear noise because I have not heard a turntable that eliminates that noise? When I went from my Onkyo to my Rogue Sphinx iii I realized I had been missing a whole lot of sound. Then I ditched my rebuilt EPI M150's and heard hidden instruments in tracks I have listened to for years. I am looking for that in a turntable upgrade.  Apperance is important. I have interest in the following:

Clear Audio Concept Wood w/ maestro v2

Mofi fender precisiondeck w/ mastertracker

Stretching my budget is:

Dr. Feikert Volare no cartridge

Gold Note Pianosa no cartridge

These take me out of my budget once I get a cartridge

Any other reccomendations 

I will miss the autostart function for those buzzed listening nights. I would like the 4k to include a cartridge. Any opinions are welcome. Anyone think I should say screw the "rules" and get an Ortofon black?

Thank you in advance

cpdkee

Showing 50 responses by elliottbnewcombjr

pindac, others

I can paste links to things I find, a photo and part of the listing show up

HOWEVER

When I click on them, nothing happens.

The ones that show just the page address, I can copy and paste the link, or click on the address, it takes me to the proper page.

What happens when you click the ones with photos????

many people love VPI, especially older production

notice, the dust covers for this type are not included, and when made, are quire large

these, the unipivot arm wand simply lifts off, you switch to another arm-wand with other cartridge pre-mounted. I have seen/listened to these at VAS, Steve Leung's shop. Start with one arm-wand, never or add a second arm-wand as things develop

example of used, allows 2 tonearms: luxman PD444DD, rear can be  long arm, side 9".

start with 1 arm. add or never add 2nd arm as things develop.

more metal than wood, but very low/sleek design. needs wider area, advantage, many two arm tables are deeper than normal.

https://www.google.com/search?q=luxman+pd444&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS949US949&oq=luxman+pd444&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i512l2j0i22i30l2j69i61l3.9693j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

this example has problems, you would need to wait for a good one to show up.

I helped a friend buy and install this with 2 micro seiki arms, there is some great engineering that is not apparent.

used, Mitsubishi linear tracking: single arm, optional auto/manual, removable headshell:

horizontal version is Quartz DD, vertical version is belt drive

I helped a friend buy/install a very lightly used horizontal model. don’t let low price put you off, it is a great performer.

again, this one has problems, just to see it:

note: wood look, not real wood, other versions exist without the wood.

vertical belt drive version

My vertical LT-5V belt drive version is shown here, in office system photos.

appearance:

you have generally picked wood, rounded corners, low height, slim horizontal look. can you give other examples of alternate desired appearance regardless of price?

belt or direct drive. you have picked mostly belt drive. coincidence or definite preference? is quartz lock direct drive acceptable? compromise, or equally acceptable?

is used a consideration? not only to save money, access to models no longer made.

semi-automatic, optional manual/auto is a nice way to have that. I suspect used models are more likely to offer that, just an example:

personally,

1. I consider a removable headshell as fundamental.

a great many turntables today have fixed cartridges, pre-aligned, nice but very limiting regarding alternate cartridges, i,e, a mono cartridge, a MM, a MC, listen to a friend's cartridge. eventually the supplied cartridge will wear, a new cartridge will  need to be aligned, so that pre-aligned advange is fleeting.

2. tt with no arm. flexible mounting system. buy an affordable arm now, perhaps a better arm later, or best, buy most desired/affordable arm now.

3. two tonearms. if you listen to a lot of jazz, many greats made great music/albums prior to stereo era. 2nd arm: having mono cartridge pre-mounted, aligned, ready to go to switch instantly between stereo arm and mono arm in a listening session is wonderful.

what if you don't like the looks of the DJish Technics?

then recommend what???

and, OP mentioned semi-auto controls, I find and post used ideas

what new TT have semi-auto options?

my point is that the OP mentioned appearance as part of his considerations. They certainly are for me, and I would never buy a Technics based on not liking it's look.

It's easy to say "... can't go wrong with, ... nothing better than ... technics ..."

Knowing OP likes wood, rounded corners appeal (not features found in Technics models) what other TT's are also great choices???

here’s the thorens 1601 gemoody mentioned, open box, $3,100. free shipping

leaves some money for cartridge!

dealer says "Free Lifetime Technical Assistance". Anybody have any experience with seller?

if, like cameras, open box gets maker’s full warranty, check with the seller if tempted.

jdougs

I’m a big fan of vintage, my TT is JVC TT81 in 7 layer plinth. Quartz DD. The electronic controls of that QL-Y66F would scare/deter me.

I wonder what construction the plinth is? And, one I saw said ’rosewood veneer’. Many were fake wood wraps, nice appearance, but the distinction should be noted. Anyone know if these were real wood veneer or wood look wraps?

If OP or anyone is considering assembling a solid vintage TT setup, mine, 3 arms, ended up costing 5K total: CP-p2 seven layer plinth, wood veneer (figured walnut I think, stained to appear rosewood); TT81; 100/120 transformer; 3 arms and 2 cartridges (3rd arm using existing cartridge). No auto functions. 

just having fun looking

a bit over budget, and a different look, manual

similar style

another

many VPI lovers

heavy looking black on wood base

includes marble base

had one, a beast, awesome bass, but, very sensitive to vertical vibration

back to visible works look

oracle

some wood

ok, lunch time

Yamaha, Gigantic and Tremendous, listed today also. Anyone know about them?

My first turntable, bought from Sam Goody with wedding money, 1967. Along with Fisher 200T trans receiver and AR-2ax speakers. I just restored a pair of AR-2ax. Were for the basement, but sound so darn good I put them in my office, and bought a second pair to restore for the basement. Compact 3 way with two level controls which I am a big fan of.

Anyway, the TT

IF I was to buy a Technics, It would be the SP-15, factory wood base, BP500 Base, two arms: straight fixed cartridge, S with removable headshell.

SP-15 is 3 speeds, SP-10 is 2 speeds

Here’s one with black base, I would wait for the wood one to show up

Here’s the wood base, with a different arm

SP-15 specs are equal to the modern ones.

If you end up going belt drive, here’s an option, new, semi-auto.

available black, same seller

lewm

you are right, way below budget

except few are responding to his alternate desire for semi-automatic, and this one does have usb if desired.

.....................................................................................

this was the best semi-automatic mentioned IMO:

here’s the thorens 1601 gemoody mentioned, open box, $3,100. free shipping

leaves some money for cartridge!

dealer says "Free Lifetime Technical Assistance". Anybody have any experience with seller?

if, like cameras, open box gets maker’s full warranty, check with the seller if tempted.

I also think about ’assumed’ others following the discussion when I find stuff I didn’t know about.

Over budget, but A whole lot ’less dj looking’

another

This one, listed yesterday

has the VERY DESIREABLE BP500 Base with easy VTA, and potential for a second arm wand, Shape with removable headshell

APPEARANCE!!!

I just want to add:

I want equipment that looks good to me, any time I approach it, turn it on, or walk nearby, playing or just sitting,

or has unique features/capabilities I appreciate every time I use it.

Cameras, TT, Preamp; Amp, Speakers. Cars

Of course it has to preform to my expectations, and sound terrific, within or usually above budget some when I find something I didn’t know existed.

OP was choosing as exaamples wood with round corners, maybe not his final choice, but as the examples he gave us with his comment appearance is important.

That’s why I wouldn’t buy the great performing Technics, and perhaps why I would buy the Technics I mentioned (not DJ appearance, 3 speeds), with the wonderful BP500 base (unique features)

Didn't know about this one. Over OP's budget, but I thought others might want to see it

This listing/price is from Romania, probably not real.

knollbrent

Glad to hear that Chakster is doing well, I miss him here as well. He passed on his knowledge and experience gave me good advice. Say hi for me.

Not only are we chatting to ourselves, OP hasn't had anything to say in quite a while.

Next, a year or so, the conversation will be revived by someone.

That happens often enough on the Sony camera site, I get a kick out of it.

still having fun looking

this is nice looking, anyone know if wood veneer or paper wrap that looks like wood?

I always prefer 'add your own arm', and I read it could fit a 12" arm (need to confirm)

An Automatic Quartz Locked Direct Drive Beauty, $3,000. free ship

Removable Headshell, YAY!

My friend Jim (met here) has this Auto Technics previously posted, absolutely loves it

that’s NOS, this one, JUST LISTED, is Open Box

lewm,

OP is and has been non-communicative. Never even answered simple questions early in the thread.

As I said, I always imagine other people following the threads with TT interest, but different budgets, objectives.

And, despite a $4,000. budget, many less costly TT's are very good choices for some.

Add that I'm retired, have the time and it's fun looking every day for new listings, finding TT's I never knew existed, ...

Also, I always hope other members might chime in on a model I find/post.

I'm off to see new listings, primarily USA and Canada which has a strong Audiophile community.

I showed one of these in bad shape earlier, this one is in decent shape. Repeat: I set one up for my friend (also met here),they are surprisingly solid and sound darn good. Automatic or Manual.

A decent start for someone jumping in to vinyl.

It does need someone who can make adjustments, the manual is available and clear to follow if handy.

Mounting cartridges for these far easier than pivoted arms. 

this would scare me when new, a real risk used, but, for unique features:

The Accutrac 4000 features a computerized control panel, a'seeing" cartridge with infra-red electro optics, a "hands-off" tone arm, electronically controlled direct drive motor, a cordless remote transmitter. LED indicator receiver and integrated circuitry to eliminate cumbersome mechanical parts. The Accutrac 4000 combines the latest breakthroughs in MOS computer circuitry and the latest advancements in direct drive technology to create the State-of -the-Art for direct drive turntables.

my 2012 Volvo C70 hard top convertible mechanism was a bit concern. I wanted a convertible, a decent back seat, and room for a wheelchair in the trunk to take my mother hither and thither (she just turned 100!)

I took the risk, so far lucky.

I knew Micro Seiki had the DDX-1000, most compact TT that fits 3 tonearms, saw one at VAS with Steve and Ray

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/micro-seiki/ddx-1000.shtml

just saw they had a DDX-1500, fits 4 tonearms (says 4 short arms)

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/micro-seiki/ddx-1500.shtml

Scuffs in Dust Covers,

if not bad, an idea how to solve them:

I spilled Goof Off on one of mine (idiot).

I took my dust cover to my auto body shop, just like old headlight lenses, they polished it, like new

btw,

The camera forum I have been on since 2012, we encourage personal stories, and the site lets you send private messages with phone numbers, addresses, I have several new friends I have met and take photo trips together.

lewm

true, all these are not meant for newbies, that's for them to decide,

others have varying skills, perhaps like me, didn't know that model existed.

newbie, like my two nephews, this will get em started enough to decide if they are going to stick with Vinyl.

$228. best price I found, orders confirmed, shipping/tracking issued (could have been a come-on)

I just sent them 100 lps each.

unusual from McIntosh: Integrated TT with Preamp and Amp Built-In

cpdkee OP

22 posts

Thank you everyone for the responses.  All the feed back helped me narrow my search. Looks like I am going blow my budget on just the table and arm then buy the cartridge seperately. Thank you all

did you buy a TT?

for your viewing pleasure, a Micro-Seiki with 3 tonearms installed

custom round table included. 6,000 euros

here, TT only, $1,900. No armboards included (not readily available)

. you could make your own easily enough

and 2 arms,

vintage knob

Montgomery Ward, World-Pioneering since 1872. Just to remember them

Montgomery Ward is the name of two successive U.S. retail corporations. The original Montgomery Ward & Co. was a world-pioneering mail-order business and later also a leading department store chain that operated between 1872 and 2001

Micro Seiki, Wood Look rather than their more typical metal

I'd want to know if real rosewood veneer or vinyl wrap. Based on grain direction on ends, I suspect/hope real wood, dust cover end panels are wood also

Sony BIOTRACER Electronic Arm (anybody had one?)

"The Sony PS-X600 is a fully-auto turntable with direct-drive motor system and Biotracer electronically controlled tonearm.

The unit features auto-record size selection, electronic stylus force and anti-skating adjustment, synchronised operation with Sony cassette decks, a muting system and magnedisc servo system."

https://audio-database.com/SONY-ESPRIT/player/ps-x600.html