Best Tubes for VAC

Hi All,

I've got a VAC Signature iia SE linestage (upgraded from iia) and a pair of Phi 200 amps.  I'd like to optimize tubes for transparency and detail (of course I also want tonal accuracy, soundstage and imaging). I'm wondering if there are any folks out there who have optimized tubes in their similar VAC units?  The tube compliments are:

PREAMP:
2x 12AU7
2x 8416, 7308, 6922, E88CC, ECC88, 6DJ8, (or 12DJ8 twin triodes)

AMPS (each)
4x KT88
4x 6SN7 (in the best 2 positions, I've got a pair of NOS Sylvania 6SN7GT's)

What have people found to work best in these VAC units?  Thanks in advance, Peter
peter_s
Hi everyone. I just want to report that I finally installed the  WE-KT88's in my Phi 200's, and WOW! they surpassed the Genelex Gold Lion KT88's by a wide margin.  Here is what I wrote to my friends:

"Changing the tubes was huge! Never before has my system sounded so natural, neutral, cohesive, enticing and involving. I'm no longer noticing congestion and loss of internal resolution. The micro-details are there, and yet it is fairly relaxed."   

I am so impressed.  Next I will try the WE-6SN7's.  All of these are around $250 per quad at China-Hifi-Audio. Thanks @johnss for your excellent advise! 

All the Best, Peter
Hi Peter S,
you are welcome.;
glad to hear you were able to get them. there are some shortages on these tubes now...due to China plants coming back on line after covid.

Agree with your comments, have 3 quad sets of GL 88s; they are nice, but they are really no competition for the WE KT88 Red base tubes.
if you opt for the red base WE 6SN7s, they wont be as big a change as the output valves, but still quite noticeable.

Right now, the Shuguang WE KT88 plus  red base are the most organic natural, open and relaxed sounding K88 I have heard, bare none, and I have tried every current and past production KT88.

The PSVANE gray glass KTa88s are good, but the red base WE KT88s are better.

prior to the WE KZZT88 plus  I was using the Shugang Nature sound KT88s in my 200. they are nice but a step down from the red base WE KT88s.

As a side note, I also have a VAC Auricle and use the WE 6CA7 plus fat bottles in it. Best sounding EL34/6CA7 I have tried. head and shoulders above anything else.
The boys at Shuguang have really done their homework on these.
best

I have been tube rolling on my VAC renaissance mk v line stage with 6922 variants. My favorites ordered:

1. Reflektor 6n23p 75
2. Amprex 6922 PQ pinched waist 
3. Siemens cca 65