Best tube choices for Jolida Music Envoy

Just my "two cents" for Jolida fans...My pre is the L2 Underwood HiFi mod, which came w / NOS Brimar ECC83/12AX7s & NOS Mullard ECC81/12AT7/M8162s. Wonderful "McIntosh" musicality. I switched out the 12AX7s for Popes (Bugle Boys). Virtual sonic perfection! I then swapped out the 12AT7s for Miniwatts (essentially Bugle Boys). UNBELIEVABLE imaging and transparency! But a Miniwatt failed, and I now use Mullard 6201s in the AT7 position. I like the trade-off: slightly less 3-D, but more balanced w / my Maggie 3.6Rs. Ribbons & metal domes like a little dose of warmth. (The 12AX7 is the more important decision in terms of imaging, and I find that the Brit AT7s and the Dutch AX7s make wonderful music together.) Other good 12AX7 choices would be Siemens or Valvos from Germany, as I am told.) Don't let anyone tell you that a particular tube is "crap," or that it is too laid-back, too "fuzzy warm," etc. Another will say that the SAME tube is too forward / bright, etc! It all depends on your gear! This "subjectivity" is expecially true of the Telefunken 801s / 803s, and Mullards in general. In conclusion, pay the bigger bucks for an accurate and detailed 12AX7 and go for a less expensive and "warmer" 12AT7 in your Music Envoy. A matched pair of Mullard 4024s (AT7) can be had for $60 at Mullard tubes.com, and cryo treatment comes free from Tube Audio Products (KR Audio Products). Also check out Tube World and Upscale Audio. Good listening!
dbdeeb

Showing 1 response by paulr128

Found some Raytheon 12AT7's from circa '55 and paired with some GE 5751 from '63 the sound was beautiful, detailed, huge soundstage, 3d imaging... and I didn't even have a drop of vino.
This is in the Envoy preamp.