Best Towers Under $4,000 / pair

I am in the market for a new set of towers. Currently I am running some older Celestions and it is time to upgrade. My amp/pre-amp are Mcintosh Solid State (MX119 & MC252).

50% of my listening will be old rock & country LPs
20% CDs and/or digital sources
30% Home Theater

I will by new or slightly used and would like to stay under $4000, most preferably under $2500.

I am considering, but haven't yet auditioned.

PSB Synchrony 2
Paradigm Signature S6
Paradigm Studio 100
Gallo Reference 3.1
B&W 700 series (New)
B&W 800 Series (Used)
Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Grand or Beethoven Baby Grand
Von Schweikert VR-2 (Used)

I am new to the forum here and I understand that my ears will ultimately make the decision, but I would like to hear any helpful comments or recommendations.

Thanks for your help
jerko

Showing 1 response by mboimare

I'm also looking for speakers upgrade and I've been listening to a lot of things lately. Dealers are really nice around here and let us take the equipment home to try.
I have a Naim NAP150x/122x, a Rega Apollo, and a Rega P3. On my opinion (and it's purely matter of taste), the PSB Synchrony One were the best, not the best in a specific field, but the best overall. They could play anything equally good, with not listening fatigue and were so coherent from top to bottom. Plus an amazing bass response.

I had Maggie’s MG1.6 that where too bright with NAIM, I had Vandersteens 2ce Sig MKII, that where beautiful in the midrange and the highs, but the bass was really slow and totally undefined.
I didn't get to listen to the PSB two but I heard great things about it.
It's always a difficult choice.

Cheers,