Best tonerarm match for Acutex M320 III STR cartridge

I have lately been having feedback problems with using the bespoken Acutex cartridge in my Dynavector 501 arm. It sounds spectacular until the feedback sets in.Usable information on what tonearm might be a good (or bad), match is not easily found. The tonearm is mounted on my heavy plinth, with my Garrard 401 'table. It sits on a wall mount stand, Brightstar BigRock 2 sandbox, with Edensound large brass footers, that are six pounds each. 

My phono stage is a Modwright SWP 9.0, that has a resistor installed to cut low frequencies. One other factor is a 15" subwoofer that is about 10 feet away, that might be a factor.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and regards,
Dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xislandmandan

Showing 4 responses by uberwaltz

Dan
There is one more possibility and its so obvious I am sure you have already done it but.....

Maybe it was just one or a couple of particular albums?
You have played the same albums that you noted the feedback on?

If not this then it must have been the phase of the moon or a solar eclipse or them pesky Gremlins again!

Happy New Year!
Dan
A lot more gain could certainly contribute.
Do you know what gain?
I run 44db gain most of the time on my Nova 3 although not had the acutex mounted for a while and not with the Nova. Last time I used it was with a Chinook at 40db gain.
The 320str has over 3mv output so really should not need any more than 40db gain IMHO.
Is it possible to reduce the gain at the Phonostage?
Yes you would then need more preamp volume to bring you back to the volume level you decide but if it is Phonostage gain related you may have your answer.
Dan
You may find the MyMat helps, not sure as never had a feedback issue.
I assume at just 1mm thick you will be placing this on top of the copper plate.

Curious as to the statement  " sounds spectacular until feedback sets in"

Is it at a certain frequency or pitch that it starts or purely volume level dependant?
Dan
I do not have the 320 str but do have the 312 str.
I have used this very successfully on my Garrard 401 with a Micro Seiki ma505ls arm with zero issues.
I have two 10" subs probably both approx 9 ft from the TT.

I know there are some very nice examples of the ma505 for sale but unsure if you are looking for new tonearm suggestions or finding a cure for present setup.