Best Tonearm and Cartridge for 4K or under for restored Garrard 301

I have a good set up for digital audio and would like to venture into analog audio. My digital set up is
Cary DMS600 -> Cary SLP05 -> Cary CAD211FE -> KEF Blade. I love the sound!

My first and only TT is a Thorens TD126 with TP16 tonearm and TMC60 MC -> PPA990 and phono stage is Cary PH302.

I bough an old Garrard 301. Planning to get it restored by Jim Campbell. Have a slate plinth. Now I am looking for a tonearm and cartridge that will justify my set up. I am thinking 4K. I could go lower or higher depending on the feedback, cost/value. I am looking for a good bargain. If I don't like it, I can easily sell it without much loss. I listen to classical, jazz, rock, indian music. 

I have never setup a tonearm before. But I looked extensively on the internet and Michael Fremer's how to set up videos. I understand all the different angles, VTA, SRA, Azimuth, Zenith. 

Looks like Michael likes Kuzma 4PT, I liked his review of the tonearm.
I am also looking at linear trackers like Transfi Terminator.
Woody, Triplaner Mk VII, SME 3012R, SME 312, Ortofon RS 309D, Dynavector DV 505/ 507, Reed 3P, Stogi reference, FR 64S, FR 64 FX, Sumiko 800.

kanchi647

Showing 3 responses by solypsa

Nice arms in your list. What are the carts in your shortlist?
Is it important for you to have removable headshell to swap carts?
Imo this is about getting the best arm and best cart for the respective money and at the same time picking arm and cart that are a good match together. And at the same time getting enough output from said to cart to make best use of your preamp. A triangle if you will...
Lots of good suggestions and ideas. A couple comments:
1) the Cary phono pre has somewhat low gain for mc and limited loading (100/47k).  This may all be a non issue but take it into consideration. ( on the other hand the Cary preamp has a fair amount of gain...). In general it may be best to stick with carts .5mv and up...

2) finding a really good Fr7f/z will take some hunting. I have a regular fr7 and its nice but not fantastic. I'm not afraid of vintage carts but you cannot ignore that they are old...
3) this may be a process of discovery since OP preferences are not included yet...so an arm with good flexibility for various carts makes sense.
3012s1 are hard to find but do have a higher effective mass vs the 3012s2 or 3012r. Meanwhile the 3012r has a cult following.

The Groovemaster titanium is no slouch and highly recomended for a brand new arm under 2k but *if* you can find an excellent 3012s1 or fr66s or Ikeda and the like awesome. I agree get the arm you want even if this means a bit of a skimp on cart.